The goals and strategies outlined in the ARL Strategic Plan 2010–2012 are in place while the Association engages in a new planning process in 2013.
ARL Strategic Plan 2010–2012
Strategic directions, outcomes, and strategies form the heart of the ARL Strategic Plan.
- The strategic directions identify major areas of emphasis for ARL in the three years covered by the plan. They are broad and also closely linked and interdependent. All have been identified as critical priorities for ARL at this point in time.
- The outcomes provide some indications of what might be expected as a result of moving in these directions.
- The strategies suggest how ARL might begin to implement these directions. Over time, as strategies are implemented, new strategies will be identified or current ones modified to meet the changing environment and evolving needs of ARL libraries.
View/download the complete ARL Strategic Plan 2010–2012 (PDF).
The following principles guided the ARL Strategic Planning Task Force in its work. The "we" in these statements refers to the Association.
- We complement and build on the strengths of other organizations.
- We rethink historic assumptions.
- Our policy positions guide our strategies.
- We are a member-driven organization.
- We are accountable to our members.
- We provide opportunity for full engagement by all member representatives.
- We respect the diversity of our membership.
Intellectual Freedom and Scholarly Communication
- We promote and advocate barrier-free access to research and educational information resources.
- We build relationships with other higher education societies and associations that share our common goals.
- We work closely with other library-related associations, councils, federations, etc.
- We encourage and support our members as they strive to reflect society's diversity in their staffing, collections, leadership, and programs.
- We strive to employ a diverse staff.
- We are focused on the needs of our member libraries.
- We allocate our resources wisely and practice sound fiscal management.
- We promote continuing staff development and growth.