SPEC Kit 323 investigates the progress made in ARL member organizations to establish or enhance socialization programs and activities (such as orientation programs, mentoring, residency appointments, and staff development sessions directed at organizational acculturation) for all newly hired, paid employees. It explores the availability and types of programs, activities, and resources currently offered in ARL institutions; staff involved in designing and coordinating socialization programs and activities; goals and budget for socialization programs; length of participation in programs and activities; evaluation and assessment of programs; and benefits of socialization programs, activities and resources. It includes documentation from respondents that describes orientation, mentoring, and peer socialization programs, and provides examples of orientation websites, orientation/socialization checklists, program evaluation methods, and staff development resources.
This publication is available for purchase in both online and print versions. Download the spec-kit-purchase-options-2013.pdf for complete pricing and purchase options information.
Link to the online SPEC Kit 323 on the ARL Digital Publications website.
- Membership Meeting 2010 (Fall): Learning to Lead: Models for Developing New Talent
- Membership Meeting 2010 (Fall): NLM/AAHSL Leadership Fellows Program
- Membership Meeting 2010 (Fall): We're Not In Kansas Anymore: Developing a Vital Workforce
- Membership Meeting 2010 (Fall): Developing a Vital Workforce
- Research Library Issues, no. 267 (Dec. 2009): Special Issue on Distinctive Collections
- SPEC Kit 315: Leave and Professional Development Benefits (December 2009)
- Purdue University Data Research Scientist [job description]
- ARL Annual Salary Survey 2008-2009
- Research Library Issues, no. 265 (Aug. 2009)