Bertelsmann AG recently announced its intent to sell BertelsmannSpringer, a publisher of scientific, technical, and medical (STM) journals, to Cinven and Candover, a partnership of UK-based private equity firms. We are writing to you on behalf of the Information Access Alliance, a coalition of six leading library organizations in North America that serve institutions engaged in research, education, law, and health care. We are deeply concerned that this development in the global STM market will lead to a further reduction in access to critical research information worldwide. We urge the European Commission, as we have urged the U.S. Department of Justice, to challenge the proposed sale.
- Letter to Arlen Specter re: FY 2006 budget request for the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) (May 4, 2005)
- Letter to Orrin Hatch and Patrick J. Leahy re: S. 2560, Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act of 2004 (Sept. 17, 2004)
- Letter to Orrin Hatch re: S. 2560, Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act of 2004 (Jul. 6, 2004)
- Letter to Senators Hatch, Leahy, Daschle, and Frist re: S. 2560, the Induce Act (Aug. 24, 2004)
- Letter to Richard G. Davis re: GPO Summary Report: Digitization Demonstration Project (Nov. 2, 2007)
- Letter to Rob Kasunic re: August 21 Supplemental Questions to DVD-Related Hearing Panelists (Sept. 8, 2009)
- Letter to Mary Landrieu re: Library of Congress (LC) Budget FY2008 (Apr. 12, 2007)