SPEC Kit 331 focuses on the professional, administrative, and management positions that report directly to the library director (or in some ARL member libraries the position that serves as the representative to the association), positions that have not been examined by a SPEC survey since 1984. It explores the responsibilities of these positions, and the skills, qualifications, and competencies necessary for these administrators to successfully lead a transforming 21st century research library. It looks at whether and how position requirements have changed in the past five years, whether the number of direct reports has changed, whether these administrators have assumed new areas of organizational responsibility, and how they acquire the new skills to fulfill those responsibilities. It includes documents that compare organization charts and position descriptions from 2007 and 2012.
This publication is available for purchase in both online and print versions. Download the spec-kit-purchase-options-2013.pdf for complete pricing and purchase options information.
Link to the online SPEC Kit 331 on the ARL Digital Publications website.
- The Strategic Approach to HR: Diagnosing and Solving Business Problems through HR and Employee Interventions
- Research Library Issues, no. 277 (Dec. 2011)
- SPEC Kit 327: Reconfiguring Service Delivery (December 2011)
- SPEC Kit 326: Digital Humanities (November 2011)
- SPEC Kit 325: Digital Preservation (October 2011)
- Research Library Issues, no. 276 (Sept. 2011)
- SPEC Kit 324: Collecting Global Resources (September 2011)