This week, ARL joined two groups of organizations that engage on privacy and surveillance issues in letters to US Congressional leadership expressing support for the compromise version of the USA FREEDOM Act introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) on July 29, 2014 (S. 2685). The July 29 letter focuses on the enhanced transparency provision (PDF) and the July 30 letter addresses the bill more comprehensively (PDF). Both letters urge Congress to act swiftly and pass the new version of the bill, without any dilution or amendment.
- Two Bills Seek to Address NSA Surveillance Practices
- ARL, Coalition Voice Support for Surveillance Transparency Legislation
- Coalition Urges Senate to Protect Americans’ Privacy in Cybersecurity Legislation
- Letter Urging US Senate to Protect Americans' Privacy in Cybersecurity Legislation (June 25, 2013)
- ARL, Coalition Support NSF Merit Review Process
- Library Copyright Alliance Applauds Introduction of Unlocking Technology Act
- ARL Applauds Judiciary Committee Action to Reform Privacy Laws