The ARL/MLA Diversity & Inclusion Initiative (DII) offers a generous suite of financial benefits and professional development:
- A tuition stipend of up to $10,000 distributed over a maximum of two years. Stipends are distributed in installments of $2,500 per semester. The total amount awarded is determined by the number of semesters the student is enrolled and other considerations as determined by the program partners.
- A paid internship in a partner music/performing arts library up to 660 hours for up to one calendar year.* Total compensation for the paid internship is $11,880 a year. The internship may include temporary assignments in related departments (e.g., special collections, archives, digital libraries, etc.).
- Financial assistance for relocation (maximum $1,000) to the area of the MLIS program into which the participant has been accepted and will enroll.
- Paid student membership in the Music Library Association (MLA) for one year.
- Mentoring by a library/information professional from the partner library. Mentors will be recruited from the host institution libraries and will participate in formal training provided by ARL consultants.
- Support for travel to and attendance at the annual MLA Annual Meeting.
- Career placement assistance provided by the MLA placement officer, programs at the MLA Annual Meeting, and other career resource services available through the MLA and ARL websites. MLA will develop and host a career development workshop that will address strategies for job searching, skills development, résumé writing, interviewing skills, and other topics related to job placement.