As an ARL Career Enhancement Program fellow, you will have a unique opportunity to create a meaningful, practical experience in an ARL library. Each fellow will be matched with a host institution—based on interest and availability—that can best provide a rich and rewarding internship experience.
In the Career Enhancement Program, each fellow will experience:
- a 6- to 12-week paid internship in an ARL library;
- an opportunity to work with other LIS graduate students in a cohort environment (up to two fellows assigned to the same institution);
- the potential for academic credit for the practical experience (fellow is responsible for arranging this program component with their home institution);
- a mentoring relationship with a professional librarian while on campus for the internship (see Mentoring Relationship); and
- an opportunity to attend the annual ARL Leadership Symposium (held during the ALA Midwinter Meeting).
The ARL Career Enhancement Program will provide each fellow with a rewarding compensation package. The total compensation package exceeds $10,000 per fellow and includes:
- relocation assistance of up to $1,000; housing reimbursement of up to $2,500;
- a stipend for internship work of up to $4,800 (240 hours x $20 per hour); and
- financial support for travel and accommodations to attend the annual ARL Leadership Symposium in Chicago, Illinois, January 2015 (estimated value $1,400).
The annual ARL Leadership Symposium will be held in late January 2015, during the ALA Midwinter Meeting. During the Leadership Symposium, each fellow will:
- have an opportunity to learn about macro-level issues facing research libraries and archives;
- connect with other ARL diversity programs participants, including MLIS students in the ARL Initiative to Recruit a Diverse Workforce, the ARL/MLA Diversity and Inclusion Initiative, the ARL Career Enhancement Program, and the ARL/SAA Mosaic Program; and
- participate in ARL career networking opportunities:
- reception honoring all ARL diversity programs participants
- lunch with ARL library directors
- events with ARL HR representatives and professional staff.