Qualified applicants must:
- Identify as a racial/ethnic minority group as described by the US Census Bureau or Statistics Canada
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, Puerto Rico, or Canada
- Remain enrolled in at least 6 graduate credit hours per term through completion of the MLIS or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited program
- Commit to aggressively pursuing employment in an ARL library with the goal of obtaining a position for a minimum of two years upon completion of their MLIS program
- Attend the annual Leadership Symposium and the Purdue University Libraries visit
Selected participants will receive a stipend of $5,000 (distributed in two installments) for their first academic year in the Initiative to Recruit a Diverse Workforce, renewable for a second year with demonstrated academic success. Each Diversity Scholar will be mentored by an established leader in the academic and research library community and will attend the annual ARL Leadership Symposium, where they will have the opportunity to meet and network with ARL library directors and human resource personnel. In addition, each Diversity Scholar will be given the opportunity to receive career and job-search guidance through the ARL Diversity and Leadership Programs staff and the network of Diversity Programs participants.