Position Title: Library Operations Supervisor, Job #55079
Dept./Team: University Libraries/Access & Information Services Team (AIST)
Type: Permanent; Full-Time; Exempt.
The University of Arizona Library seeks a Library Operations Supervisor to manage and supervise the operations of the extended hours and weekend operations work area, and will support various service sites across campus which operates in a 24/7 working environment (closed 16 hrs/wk).
Incumbent supervises staff, and manages performance, goal setting, monitors and coaches for performance; coordinates work of student employees, including training/supervision; enforces Library policies and is responsible for coordinating opening/closing and securing library locations. Additionally, may be called to serve on functional and cross-functional project teams and as customers' needs change, the work and hours may change.
Hours: Regular Fall and Spring Semester: Sun. 10:45am-7:45pm; Mon., Tues., Wed., Thurs. 11am-8pm. Please note: Adjusted schedule may be necessary in order to participate in team activities, coverage, work duty responsibilities and semester/summer breaks.
Library Mission Statement: The University of Arizona Libraries advance the University's mission through the active contributions of knowledgeable staff who choose cost effective methods of acquiring, curating, managing and connecting customers to information services and resources and providing education in their use.
Access & Information Services Team Mission Statement: The mission of the Access & Information Services Team (AIST) is to provide seamless access to technology, information and reference services independent of time, location and format. AIST facilitates the use of the physical and digital collections at the University of Arizona Libraries, while maintaining a safe, disruption free learning environment and actively pursuing and implementing new services to meet the needs of our core customers.
AIST Team Values:
A availability of materials
C customer focus
C continuous learning
E embrace innovation
S searching/sharing information
Salary: $41,668 annually, plus full benefits eligibility. Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, vision insurance; life and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
Duties and Responsibilities:
Team Leadership and Staff Supervision (80%) - Supervises and directs the work of 6 full-time employees within the unit and individual work team, including:
- Hires, orients/trains, assigns work; evaluates performance and counsels employees regarding performance deficiencies, and assists in initiating disciplinary actions.
- Approves time records and requests for time off using Kronos time and attendance system; verifies accuracy of hours/schedules; audits timecards of student manager employees to ensure policies and procedures are followed, and works with team leader and accountants as needed to resolve payroll issues.
- Mentors and coaches staff by encouraging growth and career development and creating an environment in which performance/learning goals can be achieved; follows up with employees after learning activities and ensures employees have necessary tools and resources.
- Monitors performance/learning goals as established in individual developmental reviews, and ensures established competencies are met and peer reviews are done tri-annually.
- Monitors operating budget for ILC, follows up with team members and budget liaison to ensure spending is in alignment with allocated budget and goal.
- Helps employees address and resolve a wide variety of concerns and complaints associated with coworkers, supervisors and other team members by using Constructive Dialogue approach.
- Coordinates (as needed) the work of student and temporary employees, such as assigning work, managing performance and initiating disciplinary actions/terminations.
- Actively participates on Leadership Team, reviewing and implementing changes in team structure, policies and work expectations; participates in library-wide events such as Allstaff, project team open reports, and vendor presentations and brings information/learning to team, assigned staff and leadership group.
Customer Service Leadership (15%) - Assists customers with basic research needs by providing information and referral service at various service sites, including evening and weekend rotation.
- Responsible for customer complaints and fines problem-solving and negotiation at all sites.
- Ensures team's work is performed effectively and benefits customers; establishes and monitors quality standards, and adjusts work schedules as needed.
- Shares responsibility with team for data analysis to demonstrate quality work and continually improve customer access. Ensures data and statistical reports are established/monitored.
- Directs/leads continuous improvements at IC reference desk.
- Responsible for customer complaints referred by staff members. As needed, responds to LRC, CircAdm and AskRef referrals. Monitors staff emails re: Code of Conduct issues to ensure communication is accurate, professional, timely and effective by periodically reviewing and providing feedback based on responses that hat have been sent. Liaises with Facilities Management and UAPD as needed.
- Follows up on desk training through observing desk staff and provides one-on-one in-depth training to ensure circulation and information and referral competencies are met.
- Ensures desk schedules and opening and closing assignments for Information Commons and opening and closing policies and procedures for all Library buildings are established and followed.
Complex Assignments/Project Management (5%) - This work varies from year to year.
- Coordinates AIST's ILL work and liaises with DDAT regarding overall ILL support (i.e. scheduling and developing staffing models based on changing environment, data analysis, problem-solving and training).
- Works pro-actively and constructively to identify, define and solve problems within own team, between teams and with individuals in team.
- Actively participates and shares facilitation responsibilities of work team and AIST meetings.
- Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree AND five years progressively responsible library experience; OR nine years progressively responsible library, information center or related work experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- Demonstrated experience with leadership and supervisory practices, principles and techniques (range of staff classifications but emphasis on full-time permanent employees), including hiring, training (ability to create training documentation), evaluating performance against established competencies, coaching, mentoring and coordinating the work of others and/or projects, ensuring compliance with university and library policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, work proactively and constructively (using effective critical thinking, analytical and needs assessment skills) to identify, define and solve problems with team, between teams and with individuals on teams.
- Experience in budget management, including financial planning and projecting, monitoring expenditures and developing budgetary solutions.
- Ability to understand and apply policies and procedures related to personnel selection, performance reviews, strategic planning and implementing new products and services.
- Ability to effectively facilitate, communicate and present, including the use of Constructive Dialogue (building sustainable agreement) and active listening skills.
- Ability to develop networks and build alliances collaborating and negotiating across internal and external agency boundaries to meet common objectives (i.e. consortial, national and university-levels with vendors and other agencies).
- Demonstrated strong customer service, initiative, organizational and time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities successfully in a dynamic, changing environment.
- Skill in interviewing customers (serving a diverse population) regarding reference services and sources to better understand customers' needs.
- Broad understanding of various types of references sources (i.e. library catalog, indexes, search engines, print resources) and their appropriate use, including understanding the differences between primary and secondary resources and usage of various research methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to acquire new technology skills (hardware and software); high level of proficiency with productivity tools including e-mail, calendaring, and the MS Office suite of applications (emphasis on Excel for budget management).
- Working knowledge of issues and trends in Access Services (emphasis on circulation, Interlibrary Loan and reference), including knowledge of a variety of automated library systems, record interpretation and software utilized in academic libraries.
Opened: 4-25-14; Closes: Open Until Filled; First Review of Applications Begins: 5-05-14.
How to Apply: Go to The University of Arizona's CareerTrack application system at http://www.uacareertrack.com/ and search for Job #55079. Please completely fill out the classified staff application, and be prepared to include the names and contact information for 3 direct supervisor references. Attach your resume and a letter of interest that describes how your qualifications and experience fit this position. The Libraries do not pay candidate interview or moving expenses for classified staff positions. For questions regarding The UA CareerTrack system contact: 520-621-3662; TDD 621-8299 (M-F 8-5).
The UA conducts pre-employment screening for all positions, including work history, academic, criminal and driver's license checks.
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, the University of Arizona recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences and backgrounds.
The University of Arizona is an EEO/AA Employer - M/W/D/V.