The University of Pennsylvnia is seeking a Head Librarian of the Fisher Fine Arts Library. The Fisher Fine Arts Library supports study, teaching, and research in contemporary and historical aspects of art, architecture, city and regional planning, historic preservation, landscape architecture, studio art, and urban design. Text and image collections, in analog and digital form, have a global reach and concentrate on the arts of the western experience, Islam, South Asia and East Asia, from prehistory to the present. The digital and print resources are designed to mee the needs of students and faculty of the departments, schools and programs of the University of Pennsylvania.
Reporting to the Director of Teaching, Research, and Learning Services, the Head Librarian will oversee the operations of the Fisher Fine Arts Library. This position will further develop the rich print and digital collections, design and implement high-quality patron-oriented services and promote engagement with a multifaceted faculty, student body and university community.
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA accredited school and 5 to 7 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced training in an arts field (graduate degree preferred)
- Understanding of current trends in scholarship in Art History, Architecture, City Planning, and related disciplines
- Experience in collection development and a broad knowledge of information resources in appropriate fields
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population of faculty, students, and library colleagues
- Experience providing reference serivces and instructional sessions for arts-related resources
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities in a rapidly changing environment
- Supervisory experience
- Reading knowledge of French, German, or Italian preferred.