New York University has established itself as a Global Network University, a multi-site, organically connected network encompassing key global cities and idea capitals. The network has three degree-granting campuses - New York, Shanghai, and Abu Dhabi - complemented by 12 additional academic centers across five continents. Faculty and students circulate within the network in pursuit of common research interests and cross-cultural, interdisciplinary endeavors, both local and global.
The Library of NYU Shanghai will deliver and coordinate a wide range of academic services that support the teaching, learning and research of NYU Shanghai’s faculty and students. Drawing on the resources and infrastructure of the libraries at NYU New York, the NYU Shanghai library provides an opportunity to create a forward-looking 21st century library program and facility to serve a culturally diverse and academically talented population. NYU Shanghai opened in September 2013 with a freshman class of 300 students, and is expected to grow over eight years to a target undergraduate student population of 2400 along with selected graduate programs. The NYU Shanghai Library also serves an active NYU Study Abroad program.
In consultation with NYU Libraries and consistent with the NYU library mission and programs, the Director of the NYU Shanghai Library will provide leadership in 1) establishing library services and programs that supports NYU Shanghai’s academic and programmatic mission and 2) implementing and directing ongoing operations of the library. The position reports jointly to the Dean, Division of Libraries at NYU and the Provost, NYU Shanghai.
In close coordination with NYU New York, this is an exciting opportunity for the Director to manage and lead the implementation of the library program for NYU Shanghai, including program start-up and expansion, staff recruitment and development, facilities requirements, development of joint services with NYU New York and NYU Abu Dhabi, resource management for the library’s budget, and development of policies for library operations and services. The Director of the NYU Shanghai Library will work closely with colleagues in New York and Abu Dhabi to develop services that optimize library staff and resources across the NYU Libraries. The Director also works closely with the senior staff of NYU Shanghai to plan and implement phased-in on-site services. The incumbent will be based in Shanghai, with some travel required to NYU New York.
- Responsible for the planning, project management, coordination and implementation of library services and policies at NYU Shanghai in conjunction with NYU New York Division of Libraries counterparts, including collection development, technical services, public services, and facilities, as well as front end library and academic technology support services. Faculty technology support services, including support for digital scholarship and instructional technology, are provided in collaboration with NYU Shanghai Academic Affairs.
- Participate in NYU Shanghai campus and program planning and ongoing program development.
- Recruit, develop and manage an outstanding library staff, and provide direction for the continuing recruitment, selection, orientation, development, training and retention of library staff.
- Lead the effective and efficient ongoing operation of all aspects of library service on the NYU Shanghai campus consistent with the mission and service philosophy of NYU Shanghai and NYU New York.
- Develop and manage the NYU Shanghai library budget in collaboration with NYU New York.
- Oversee the development of print and digital collections, including participation in joint NYU-wide collection development, acquisitions and processing.
- Develop productive relationships and collaborations with the Shanghai academic and research library community.
- ALA-accredited MLS or international equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years successful administrative experience and at least 5 years managing and/or supervising a department in an academic setting, including budget and personnel management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in implementing innovative user services and technologies in the library program.
- Demonstrated experience in assessment, planning and program development.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in academic library and information services, instructional/information technologies, and scholarly communication.
- Knowledge of developments in higher education that affect research libraries, scholarly process, and the University’s core mission in teaching, learning and research.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment and communicate complex issues and perspectives to project team representatives across a global network.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal oral and written communication skills.
- Strong commitment to service excellence.
- Ability to adapt to a Chinese business and cultural environment.
- Second masters degree
- Experience in a research university library
- Deep knowledge of Chinese culture and the ability to speak its national dialect fluently
- College or university library start-up, renovation or construction experience
- Experience working in a culturally diverse environment
- Prior international experience
Excellent benefits include vacation package, relocation assistance and a generous retirement package. Salary commensurate with experience.
To ensure consideration, send resume and letter of application, including the name, address, and telephone number of three references to: Enrique Yanez, Director of Human Resources, New York University Libraries, 70 Washington Square South, New York, NY 10012 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
NYU’s Division of Libraries embraces diversity and is committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
NYU is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer.