|Descriptive Title:Head of Humanities and Social Sciences Senior Assistant Librarian/Associate Librarian||REF#:F-8601-14-08-F|
|Budget Title:same as above||Faculty Position|
|Department:Library||Campus:Stony Brook West Campus/HSC|
|Salary:Commensurate with Experience|
Preferred Qualifications:Advanced degree in the humanities or social sciences.Experience working with the Aleph acquisitions system. Experience using GOBI for selection. Experience working with vendors of library resources. Experience developing online subject guides to library resources. Teaching experience. Reading fluency in European, Slavic, or Asian language. Experience using Microsoft Office or analogous software, especially spreadsheets.
Stony Brook Libraries are known for a wide-range of print and digital resources and world-renowned special collections. The Stony Brook Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), with a Health Sciences Center Library that is a member of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The Libraries’ collection exceed 2 million volumes, including e-books, print and electronic holdings of scholarly journal subscriptions, microforms, music recordings, and a sizable map collection. The SBU Libraries include 6 distinct facilities, including Melville Library, Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Chemistry, Math/Physics, Southampton and Health Sciences Libraries. The University’s Libraries stand as the largest academic research library on Long Island, serving as a resource in the local community, state-wide, and nationally through the National Network of the National Libraries of Medicine.
Responsibilities & Requirements:The Head of Humanities and Social Sciences will act as the lead librarian in collection development and related activities in the Humanities and Social Sciences, with the goal of developing collections closely aligned with the goals and needs of research and teaching in these areas. The Head will report to and work closely with the Associate Director for Collection Strategy and Management. The selected candidate:
- Reports to the Associate Director for Collection Strategy and Management.
- Assists in the development and implementation of plans and projects to enhance collection development goals.
- Works with vendors and selectors to set up trials and evaluate new resources for potential purchase.
- Selects material for and liaisons with academic departments in Humanities and/or Social Sciences based on experience and education.
- Develops and maintains online subject guides to library resources.
- Works closely with other selectors in Humanities and Social Sciences and assists in the completion of special projects in these areas, and in collection assessment activities.
- Provides reference assistance at the reference desk and/or through virtual reference.
- Participates in the Library Instruction Program, especially in subject areas related to expertise.
- Works to satisfy University and College of Arts and Sciences requirements for promotion and continuing appointment.
Special Notes:This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. **Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, to guarantee consideration, please apply by September 25th, 2014.Anticipated start date: as soon as possible.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure:Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume/CV to:
Health Sciences Library
Health Sciences Center, Level 3, Room 142
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8034
Fax#: (631) 444-6649
Use the Resources box located at the bottom of this page.
|Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 09/25/2014**, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.|
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
|Job Category:A) Faculty and Librarian Positions.|