Registration is open for the ARL Fall Forum 2013, “Mobilizing the Research Enterprise,” to be held in Arlington, Virginia, October 10–11. The program will explore the opportunities and collaborations in responding to the White House memorandum on “Increasing Access to the Results of Federally Funded Research.” The forum will open with a keynote address by Richard McCarty, provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs, Vanderbilt University.
Sessions at this year's Fall Forum will cover a range of topics including infrastructure, discovery, policy issues, and data management/data sharing. Other speakers will include:
- Joyce Backus, Associate Director for Library Operations, National Library of Medicine
- James Hilton, Dean of Libraries and University Librarian, University of Michigan
- Bradley C. Wheeler, Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, Indiana University
- Laine Farley, Executive Director, California Digital Library
- Kathleen Shearer, Executive Director, Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR)
- Karla Strieb, Associate Director for Collections, Technical Services and Scholarly Communications, Ohio State University
- Steven Lerman, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, George Washington University
- Rebecca Kennison, Director, Center for Digital Research and Scholarship, Columbia University
- Lorcan Dempsey, Vice President, OCLC Research and Chief Strategist, OCLC
- Larry Lannom, Director of Information Services and Vice President, Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI)
- MacKenzie Smith, University Librarian, University of California, Davis
See the ARL Fall Forum schedule for more details.
The ARL Fall Forum will be held at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Virginia. The cutoff date for reserving hotel rooms at the ARL rate of $219 ($239 for a double) is September 20, 2013. Reservations made after that date will be on a space-available basis. Hotel reservations may be made via the Crystal Gateway Marriott site or by calling the Marriott Reservations toll-free number at (877) 212-5752 and mentioning the “ARL Meeting.”
Register online by September 20, 2013, to attend the Fall Forum. The registration fee is $300 for ARL members, $325 for non-members.
The Association of Research Libraries (ARL) is a nonprofit organization of 125 research libraries in the US and Canada. Its mission is to influence the changing environment of scholarly communication and the public policies that affect research libraries and the diverse communities they serve. ARL pursues this mission by advancing the goals of its member research libraries, providing leadership in public and information policy to the scholarly and higher education communities, fostering the exchange of ideas and expertise, facilitating the emergence of new roles for research libraries, and shaping a future environment that leverages its interests with those of allied organizations. ARL is on the web at http://www.arl.org/.