AAU, APLU, ARL Statement on Expanded Public Access to Publications
The Association of American Universities, the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities, and the Association of Research Libraries presented a joint statement on expanded public access to publications to the National Research Council at the National Academy of Science Forum on May 14, 2013.
Expanded Public Access: A New Era with New Challenges
On April 17, 2013, the Association of American Universities (AAU), Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU), and Association of Research Libraries (ARL) released this two-page statement by David E. Shulenburger calling on the research university community to provide input to the US Government for increasing access to the results of federally funded research.
Letter to Paul Broun re: Hearing on Public Access and Scholarly Publication Interests (Mar. 29, 2012)
Letter from library associations thanking Paul Broun for conducting a hearing on Public Access and Scholarly Publication Interests.
Letter to House Oversight and Government Reform Committee re: H.R. 3699, The Research Works Act (Jan. 24, 2012)
Library association letter expressing opposition to H.R. 3699, The Research Works Act.
Letter to Michael F. Doyle re: H.R. 4004, “The Federal Research Public Access Act” (Feb. 14, 2012)
Letter from higher education and library associations thanking Representative Doyle for introducing H.R. 4004, "The Federal Research Public Access Act."
Letter to John Cornyn re: S. 2096, “The Federal Research Public Access Act” (Feb. 14, 2012)
Letter from higher education and library associations thanking Senator Cornyn for introducing S. 2096, "'The Federal Research Public Access Act."
Letter to House Oversight and Government Reform Committee re: H.R. 3699, the Research Works Act (Feb. 24, 2012)
Letter opposing the Research Works Act.
Research Library Issues, no. 274 (Feb. 2011)
RLI issue 274 includes:
- The Future of the US Research University
- Joining in the Enterprise of Response in the Wake of the NSF Data Management Planning Requirement
Research Library Issues, no. 273 (Dec. 2010)
RLI issue 273 includes:
- Three Key Public Policies for Research Libraries: Net Neutrality, Fair Use, Open and Public Access
- The Importance of Net Neutrality to Research Libraries in the Digital Age
- Challenges in Employing Fair Use in Academic and Research Libraries
- Public Access to Federally Funded Research: Contributions to Economic Development, Competitiveness, and Innovation
Research Library Issues, no. 269 (April 2010): Special Issue on Strategies for Opening Up Content
RLI issue 269 includes:
- Strategies for Opening Up Content: Laying the Groundwork for an Open System of Scholarship
- Achieving Consensus on the University of Kansas Open-Access Policy
- Improving Access with Open-Access Publishing Funds
- Model Language for Author Rights in Library Content Licenses
- Opening Up Content in HathiTrust: Using HathiTrust Permissions Agreements to Make Authors’ Work Available