The application cycle for the 2021–2023 Kaleidoscope Program is now closed.
To apply for the Kaleidoscope Program, please follow these steps:
- Complete the Kaleidoscope Program Application Form online. With your application, submit the following documents in PDF:
- Résumé (see guidelines)
A 400-word essay describing what attracts you to a professional position in a research library or archive, especially one that is a member of the Association of Research Libraries (Essays should be typed and addressed to the Kaleidoscope Program Selection Working Group.) Criteria for evaluating the essays:
- Clarity and content
- Clearly articulated career goals and professional interests
- Perceived potential for growth
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts including last academic semester completed
- Unofficial graduate transcripts including last academic semester completed OR official letter of acceptance into a graduate-level program in library and information science (either at the time of application or before being accepted into the Kaleidoscope Program)
- Select two references who can assess and speak to your character and abilities.
One should be from a current or former supervisor or school faculty member who can speak to your:
- Oral and written expression
- Interpersonal skills (e.g., ability to work as a part of a team)
Letters of recommendation should be written on letterhead, signed, and emailed directly from the reference to Mira Swearer at email@example.com. Applications are not complete until letters of recommendation are submitted.
Application & Program Timeline for the 2021–2023 Kaleidoscope Program Cohort
- April 1, 2021: ARL issues Call for Applications
- May 13, 2021: Applications due to ARL
- July 2021: Applicant notified of selection decision by email
- August 31, 2021: First-semester stipends disbursed
- January 1, 2022: Second-semester stipends disbursed to those who meet qualifications
- Winter 2022: Scholars attend 18th Annual ARL Leadership Symposium
- April-May 2022: Scholars participate in a research library visit at an ARL member library
- August 31, 2022: Third-semester stipends disbursed to those who meet qualifications
- January 1, 2023: Fourth-semester stipends disbursed to those who meet qualifications
For questions about the application process, please contact Mira Swearer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.