The 2020–2022 Kaleidoscope Program application cycle is now closed.
To apply for the Kaleidoscope Program, please follow these steps:
- Complete the Kaleidoscope Program Application Form online. With your application, submit the following documents in PDF:
- Résumé (see guidelines)
A 400-word essay describing what attracts you to a professional position in a research library or archive, especially one that is a member of the Association of Research Libraries (Essays should be typed and addressed to the Kaleidoscope Program Selection Committee.) Criteria for evaluating the essays:
- Clarity and content
- Clearly articulated career goals and professional interests
- Perceived potential for growth
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts including last academic semester completed
- Unofficial graduate transcripts including last academic semester completed OR official letter of acceptance into a graduate-level program in library and information science (either at the time of application or before being accepted into the Kaleidoscope Program)
- Select two references who can assess and speak to your character and abilities.
One should be from a current or former supervisor or school faculty member who can speak to your:
- Oral and written expression
- Interpersonal skills (e.g., ability to work as a part of a team)
Letters of recommendation should be written on letterhead, signed, and e-mailed directly from the reference to Mira Swearer at email@example.com.
Application Advisory Service
At your request, you will be paired with a program alumnus who will review your materials, provide suggestions for edits, and who can otherwise advise you on the application process. Please give the reviewer at least three business days to complete the task and ensure that your documents are ready to be shared at the time of the request.
To request this assistance, contact our program coordinator for grants administration, Mira Swearer, firstname.lastname@example.org. She will place you in direct contact with a program alumnus who will provide you with the feedback. No requests for assistance will be accepted later than Monday, May 4 at 5:00 p.m. eastern daylight time.
Application & Program Timeline for the 2020–2022 Kaleidoscope Program Cohort
- April 1, 2020: ARL issues Call for Applications
- May 22, 2020: Applications due to ARL
- Early July 2020: Applicant notified of selection decision by email
- August 31, 2020: First-semester stipends disbursed
- January 1, 2021: Second-semester stipends disbursed to those who meet qualifications
- January 21–24, 2021: Scholars attend 17th Annual ARL Leadership Symposium in Indianapolis, IN
- April-May 2021: Scholars participate in a research library visit at an ARL member library
- August 31, 2021: Third-semester stipends disbursed to those who meet qualifications
- January 1, 2022: Forth-semester stipends disbursed to those who meet qualifications
For questions about the application process, please contact Mira Swearer by email at email@example.com.