Social Sciences Librarian (Librarian II)
University of Oklahoma Job Location: Oklahoma Date Created: 04-24-2019
OU Libraries seeks an innovative, collaborative and highly motivated individual to serve as Social Sciences Librarian for multiple departments. Successful candidates will have a strong understanding of scholarly information and research methods across multiple disciplines, and will join a diverse team of librarians and specialists serving the Humanities and Social Sciences fields and collaborating to promote scholarly communication, open educational resources, emerging technologies, research data management and digital scholarship supporting the learning and research needs of social sciences departments. The Social Sciences Librarian assists in managing collections, provides library instruction and consultations for faculty and students, and participates in library-related public programming, including events and exhibits.
Responsibilities based on candidates' skills and organizational need:
- Research & scholarship: Cultivate and communicate an understanding of the professional literature, research and data life cycles, research trends/methodologies/processes within specific disciplines, using this understanding to serve faculty and students in a research library setting; understand the library's role in research and scholarship.
- Outreach & engagement: Build and sustain effective working relationships and work collaboratively in a diverse and fast-paced environment; understand and communicate current and emerging trends/issues related to scholarly communication, open access, open educational resources, emerging technologies, information and data literacy, research data management, impact metrics, and digital scholarship; promote library services to engage new models of research and teaching in the social sciences.
- Teaching & learning: Engage faculty and instructors to integrate information, digital and data literacy concepts and skills into the curriculum; coordinate with colleagues to create teaching/learning opportunities to meet new and emerging educational needs.
Successful candidates will...
- Solve problems flexibly, creatively, and with a strong commitment to service excellence.
- Take initiative, be self-directed, and innovate.
- Collaborate across organizational boundaries.
- Utilize strong organizational, project, and time management skills to lead or coordinate multiple projects, working with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills.
- Graduate degree in a social sciences discipline OR master's degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited degree program; degree(s) must be completed by August 2019.
- Two years of work experience in a library, academic or customer service setting.
Salary range $50,000-$60,000. Full-time position; benefits and professional development support. To view a full position description and learn how to apply, see https://libraries.ou.edu/socialscienceslibrarian