Head of Metadata Production
Brown University Job Location: Rhode Island Date Created: 04-24-2019
Head of Metadata Production
Brown University Library invites applicants for the position of Head of Metadata Production. Reporting to the Head of Metadata Services, the Head of Metadata Production will lead the unit that creates metadata for all formats in print and digital collections. The unit is currently expanding its role beyond MARC-based cataloging, to ensure that Brown University Library's digital materials also benefit from the skill and expertise in the Metadata Production unit. The successful candidate will have the knowledge and initiative to recognize and take full advantage of transformational opportunities as standards and tools for resource description of physical and digital collections continue to evolve.
The head of Metadata Production is a creative, detail-oriented and collaborative manager, capable of leading the work of the metadata production unit in a changing environment. The position manages 6 staff members engaged in adaptive cataloging, metadata creation, and archival arrangement and description, including creation of EAD finding aids. This position is responsible for developing workflows, reviewing staff work, and designing and providing training for the unit. This position also performs both original and complex adaptive cataloging and advises on database maintenance projects. The incumbent participates in the assessment and continuous improvement of operations and services, coordinates the Brown University Library NACO program, and collaborates with colleagues in the development and maintenance of local metadata policies.
* Required education: MLS degree from ALA-accredited program or equivalent
* Minimum 3 years of successful experience in staff supervision in a library environment or successful training experience in cataloging/metadata
* Minimum 3 years of experience and demonstrated proficiency with OCLC Connexion and an ILS/LSP
* Minimum 5 years of experience and demonstrated proficiency with current cataloging rules and standards (RDA, LC-PCC PSs, LC vocabularies, MARC21, etc.) and a variety of metadata schema (MODS, EAD, etc.).
* Knowledge of or demonstrated interest in BIBFRAME and LRM development and other library applications of linked open data.
* Thorough understanding of the relationship between bibliographic and authority records in an automated environment, including discovery system functionality generated from MARC and non-MARC metadata.
* Interest in developing metadata practices and technologies.
* Excellence in the following skills: verbal and written communication, interpersonal, planning, organizational, and analytical.
* Demonstrated commitment to diversity and understanding of the contributions a diverse workforce brings to the workplace.
* Reading knowledge of a foreign language
* Interest in serving the needs of the Brown community of users and in maximizing access to the library resources.
* Experience in working with bargaining unit staff is preferred.
Candidates please note: all offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
To Apply: please visit Brown University's career opportunities website at: https://brown.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/staff-careers-brown/jobs and reference req154170 . Complete an application online, attach documents, and submit for immediate consideration. Documents should include cover letter, resume, and the names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.