Humanities Outreach Librarian
University of Rochester Job Location: New York Date Created: 05-14-2019
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Library Professional II
DEPARTMENT: Outreach, Learning, and Research Services
DATE: April, 2019
The River Campus Libraries (RCL) is seeking a creative, collaborative librarian to join the Outreach team. The Humanities Outreach Librarian supports the scholarly pursuits of faculty and students in the departments of History and Religion & Classics. The work of these departments involves discovering and using primary and rare materials, as well as digital scholarship tools and methodologies, all of which presents many opportunities for unique a library programming and innovative research support. Key responsibilities of this role include: building strong relationships with faculty, graduate and undergraduate students, and with partners across the institution; collaborating with faculty in support of learning and research; providing face-to-face and virtual reference and research consultation; fostering a dynamic research environment that encourages inquiry, critical thinking, and creativity; and developing high quality collections.
A. Areas of Responsibility:
Support for Research and Scholarship: 35%
- Provides expert research consultation and discovery services
- Builds strong relationships with students and faculty, continually assessing needs
- Explores obstacles and gaps, and develops new initiatives in support of faculty research
- Offers guidance and support on solving intellectual property and copyright issues
- Works with faculty to develop timely, targeted, and curriculum-integrated library instruction and support
- Designs, delivers, and assesses instruction sessions and learning tools
- Discovers, shares, and creates open educational resources
- Works with faculty to identify and integrate appropriate information resources in the curriculum
- Assists students in locating appropriate scholarly resources related to course assignments and research
- Collaborates with Scholarly Resources Management staff and the Outreach team to develop high quality digital and print collections to support program and research needs
- Continually assesses journal database subscriptions; works closely with constituencies to ensure that library resources are meeting their needs
- Participates in ongoing collection assessment and management activities
- Monitors collection development funds in assigned areas
- Maintains currency with library functions, resources, practices and procedures
- Participates in and contributes towards River Campus Libraries and University committees, meetings, and events
- Maintains professional collaborations with River Campus Libraries colleagues and other campus constituencies
- Contributes to the profession through active participation in conferences, associations, research, writing, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Specific to the position:
- Post-graduate degree in library and information science from an A.L.A.-accredited institution
- Demonstrated ability to promote and deliver research and instruction services with creativity
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to form strong connections with faculty and students
- Outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Self-starter who is flexible, creative, and open to new challenges
- Strong commitment to diversity
- Advanced degree or coursework in one or more fields related to this position
The University of Rochester Libraries is a charter member of the Association of Research Libraries and has collections of more than three million volumes and more than 150,000 active serial titles. This is an exciting time to join the River Campus, as we are in the early stages of implementing a new strategic plan that supports the innovative teaching and learning as a tier 1 research university. This provides a unique opportunity for incumbents to implement the strategies to achieve the Libraries vision of providing transformational experiences for faculty and students to achieve their scholarly aspirations.
The University of Rochester is the largest employer in the Greater Rochester area, sixth largest private employer in New York State and one of the nation's leading private research universities. More than 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled at UR Located in Rochester, New York. UR gives students exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary study and close collaboration with faculty through its unique cluster-based curriculum. For more information on the University and the Libraries, please visit our website: www.library.rochester.edu.
Among the 100 largest metropolitan regions in the country, Greater Rochester has earned a reputation as one of the most livable communities in the nation. Located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario and gateway to the scenic Finger Lakes, Rochester offers its 1.1 million residents the amenities of a metropolitan area with a quality of life not available in many urban regions. This lively metropolitan area boasts 20,000 acres of parkland and offers year-round recreational opportunities for those who like to be outdoors in all seasons. Rochester is the home to a variety of world class, performing arts, fine arts, museums and cultural festivals. Several high schools in the greater Rochester area have been consistently listed by Newsweek as among the best in the country. Rochester is also recognized as one of the most affordable housing markets in the country
For more information about living in Rochester: Visit Rochester
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE AT: http://www.rochester.edu/working/hr/jobs/
Reference ID: 215251
*When applying online, please upload your cover letter & resume as one pdf document.
Position will remain open until filled.
If you have questions or need more information about the position send an email to: RCLHR@library.rochester.edu
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer: EOE Minorities / Females / Protected/ Veterans / Disabled