Associate Head, Software Development Department
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Job Location: North Carolina Date Created: 05-16-2019
Vacancy #: NF0003752
Salary Range: $74,500-$95,000
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The University Libraries at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is seeking an Associate Head, Software Development Department to join the Library & Information Technology division.
The Associate Head takes a leadership role within UNC Libraries' highly collaborative Software Development Department. The person in this position advocates for and leads the implementation of robust software development and systems analysis practices, including automated testing, software documentation, user-centered system design, and the responsible stewardship of software inspired by DevOps practices. The University Libraries is active in and committed to open source development and communities and the Associate Head will have opportunities to contribute to open source software projects in a variety of ways. Mentorship of staff and the continued cultivation of healthy, diverse, and inclusive working environments is an essential requirement for any position in our department. The UNC Libraries has fostered a community of learning and collaboration and presents many opportunities to learn new skills and to take on a range of technically challenging projects with support from senior staff.
Master's and 1-2 years experience or Bachelors and 2-4 years' experience, or will accept a combination of related education and experience in substitution.
- Experience mentoring software developers and developing a supportive and rewarding team culture.
- Experience working collaboratively and communicating effectively with software stakeholders coming from a range of technical backgrounds.
- Experience developing server-based and browser-based software.
- Experience transferring data between systems via APIs.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- A commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where differences and complexities in background, cultures, values and viewpoints are valued.
- Experience working in a library or academic setting.
- Experience supervising technical staff.
- Experience with agile development methodologies.
- Experience with computational research (e.g. data science) methods.
- Experience working with Machine Learning systems and models.
- Familiarity with practical applications of artificial intelligence concepts.
- Experience working with application frameworks (e.g. Ruby on Rails, Django, Laravel, or Angular).
- Experience applying DevOps techniques in partnership with infrastructure management colleagues.
- Experience with test driven development and/or continuous integration.
Application Types Accepted
Applications will be considered until position is filled. Please submit an online application for vacancy # NF0003752 to The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Human Resources at http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/161684
For more information about the position, please visit https://library.unc.edu/hr/employment/associate-head-software-development-department/
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.