Library Services Assistant
University of Cincinnati Job Location: Ohio Apply By: 09/01/2019 Date Created: 07-03-2019
RELATIONSHIP AND AUTHORITY: Reports to the Operations Manager of the Science & Engineering Libraries (SEL).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete opening procedures for the Geology-Math-Physics Library, Monday-Friday.
- Provide coverage for service desks, perform circulation functions, and attend to informational needs. As appropriate, refer patron questions and requests to librarians and informationists. Interpret library policies and procedures.
- Participate in the training of student assistants. Serve as back-up supervisor for student assistants as necessary. Oversee student assignments in the stacks.
- At designated locations, process new books and prepare binding tickets for print periodicals. Assist with processing and review of special book collections. Assist with projects to review library collections (e.g., analysis of usage data, print holdings in consortial/peer institutions, online access options).
- Assists SEL staff with displays, exhibits and promotional materials. Participate in special projects for the Science and Engineering Libraries, such as technology or facility initiatives.
- Participate in UC Libraries meetings, trainings, and committees as appropriate to responsibilities. Provide regular reports of work activities to supervisor.
- At least one year of library work experience in a computer-based environment.
- Demonstrated work experience serving a diverse user population.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with an attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience assisting with operational management of a unit or in supervising student assistants who provide operational support.
- Knowledge of an integrated library system (ILS), such as record editing.
- Based on the nature of this position, the university is unable to provide sponsorship for work visas.
- Prospective candidates are required to submit a cover letter and resume with their application.
- The search committee will begin reviewing applications on July 15, 2019. This position will remain open until filled.