Data Services and Technology Librarian
UCLA Job Location: California Date Created: 02-13-2018
Department: National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Southwest Region, Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library
Rank and Salary: Assistant Librarian -- Associate Librarian ($49,165 -- $77,371)
Position Availability: Immediately
Application deadline for first consideration: March 9, 2018
This is a 2-year temporary position.
The Library serves UCLA students, faculty, and staff whenever and wherever they need its resources and expertise. Reconfigured, high-tech spaces and services in its ten campus libraries enable users and librarians to explore and work with print and digital materials collaboratively or individually, pursue new lines of inquiry, and develop new pedagogical approaches as well as novel forms of scholarship. More than 3.5 million people visit annually, while an additional 3.4 million visitors enter online through its virtual front doors.
Whether on campus or online, the Library forms the intellectual heart of UCLA, a hub for cutting-edge discovery, scholarship, and instruction.
The National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) is funded through a cooperative agreement with the National Library of Medicine (NLM), and the Regional Medical Library (RML) functions administratively as a division of the Biomedical Library. The mission of the NNLM is to advance the progress of medicine and improve the public health, by providing equal access to biomedical information to all U.S. health professionals and by improving the public's access to health information. The Pacific Southwest Region (PSR) of the NNLM includes Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, and U.S. Territories in the Pacific. The RML facilitates resource sharing and cooperative projects among a network of nearly 600 libraries in this region, including academic medical libraries, hospital and healthcare organization libraries, and a growing number of public libraries with consumer health collections. The NNLM staff provides outreach programs, often in partnership with network libraries and other organizations in the region, to assist health professionals who have no direct affiliation with a health sciences library, and consumers who are seeking sources of reliable health information. Outreach activities include exhibits at conferences, classes in health information access, referrals to network libraries, and demonstrations of NLM databases and resources, including PubMed/MEDLINE, MedlinePlus, and ClinicalTrials.gov.
Reporting to the NNLM PSR Associate Director, the Data Services and Technology Librarian will be one member of a team of three outreach librarians, who is responsible for the following duties:
* Oversees needs assessment and program development to increase support for big data initiatives, such as skills in creating data management plans and helping scientific researchers find appropriate data repositories.
* Oversees NNLM PSR website structure and content, and ensures that resources included on the website are compliant with requirements in Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
* Provides information and consultation on NNLM PSR funding opportunities and proposal preparation, solicits funding applications from Network members, and monitors progress of ongoing awards.
* Develops in-person and online workshops and training sessions to promote awareness and use of NLM and National Institute of Health (NIH) resources and tools in the research and academic community.
* Exhibits at regional and local conferences and meetings reaching NNLM PSR target populations, and submits workshop proposals aimed at providing education about NLM and NIH resources.
* Contributes information via the NNLM PSR blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and website to promote current awareness in data management and NLM resources and tools.
* Assists as needed with other NNLM PSR outreach and network activities to promote NNLM and NLM resources, programs, and services.