Data Services Librarian
The Ohio State University Job Location: Ohio Apply By: 09/07/2019 Date Created: 07-09-2019
Data Services LibrarianThe Data Services Librarian will provide leadership in developing a programmatic approach to research data services for The Ohio State University Libraries. The Data Services Librarian will provide a vision to guide and expand the Library’s efforts in data management planning, discovery and access of research data, data sharing and publication, and data visualization. This will encompass analysis of the strategic environment for developing, refining, assessing, and sustaining an evolving program of research data services for faculty, researchers, and students throughout the university. Reporting to the Head of Research Services, the Data Services Librarian will work with stakeholders and researchers within the Libraries, Ohio State, and external partners to address issues related to the discovery, use, and stewardship of research data. The successful candidate will work with colleagues within the Libraries to maintain/improve systems for description, storage, discovery, and access to tabular, spatial, and text-corpus data. The Data Services Librarian will lead in-reach efforts in the Libraries in order to provide a holistic, collaborative and distributed data services program that will spread awareness of library resources and services among researchers, including faculty, staff and students. The Data Services Librarian will participate in library-wide committees, activities, and special projects, especially those involving newly implemented technologies and data. Responsibilities:
- Build on successful data services education and outreach to establish a scalable data services program--including access to and visualization of datasets-- to support researchers and scholars, as well as departmental or cross-institutional research teams.
- Supervise the Data Services Specialist for Outreach and Education and the Data Visualization Specialist.
- Partner with the Office of Research and appropriate personnel within the Colleges to increase faculty awareness of data mandates and funder requirements.
- Lead and provide consultation services for OSU faculty, staff, and students on data-related issues and challenges arising from their research.
- Lead in-reach efforts for subject liaisons, Area Studies librarians, archivists, curators and other Libraries’ personnel around the data services program.
- Lead efforts to improve systems for the discovery, use, and delivery of library leased or owned data sets.
- Represent the Libraries at campus, consortial and other meetings concerning research data issues.
- Demonstrate a commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce and work environment.
- An ALA-accredited master’s degree or a comparable graduate degree from a non-U.S. university, reviewed on a case-by case basis.
- Demonstrated success in providing leadership with developing, refining, and assessing an evolving research data services program in an academic community.
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining effective partnerships and collaborations in creative ways in a complex environment.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Commitment to librarianship, scholarship, and service, which are required criteria to meet University and University Libraries requirements for promotion and tenure https://library.osu.edu/document-registry/docs/1017/stream.
- Flexibility and creativity in leading change in an evolving, complex, and ambiguous environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends and technical, legal, and information policy on data repositories, public data sets, and funder data management requirements.
- Supervisory experience in an academic or research library.