Access Services Assistant
MIT Job Location: Massachusetts Apply By: 07/19/2019 Date Created: 07-09-2019
- Provides in-person service regarding library services, collections, and equipment at a variety of service points.
- Responsible for closing shifts five days a week and occasional opening shifts (seasonal).
- Responsible for the interpretation of policies and procedures to users, for providing information about access to collections and space, opening/closing the library and reporting facilities and safety incidents/issues.
- Helps train staff in policies, procedures and technology, and contributes to the development of documentation and training materials.
- Participate in other activities such as book searching, shelving, collecting statistics, handling financial transactions, sorting & delivering library materials and identifying opportunities for service improvements.
- Perform some processing of materials and work with staff to resolve problems, correct errors and maintain the physical condition of collections.
- Participate in local and library-wide committees/teams/groups or projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 6 months of direct/related experience that provides an understanding of library or service functions (post high school education can count toward experience).
- Experience with use of library catalogs, ability to use basic business software (e.g. MS Office, e-mail, calendar), interest in mastering new software, systems and technology.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and proven commitment to delivering high quality customer service in a busy and diverse environment.
- Demonstrated initiative and flexibility for successfully adapting and working creatively in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to work and contribute both independently and as an integral part of a service team, to work collaboratively and to interact effectively with a diverse group of people.
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Exemplary attendance and dependability a must. Ability to lift 40 lbs, move boxes, shelve library materials, push book trucks, and a tolerance for exposure to dust.
- Experience in academic and/or research library.
- Basic training or teaching experience.
- Experience working with libraries’ specific software in use at MIT (e.g. Aleph, Alma, ILLiad and/or RAPID ILL).
- Experience with compiling, managing, manipulating, and presenting data (e.g. excel, access, Tableau)