STEM Instruction Librarian
University of Kentucky
Job Location: Kentucky
Apply By: 9/30/2019
Date Created: 08-09-2019
STEM Instruction Librarian
DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Recently embarking on a historic $2.1 billion comprehensive campaign, the University of Kentucky set an ambitious path to be a destination for students, scholars, and healthcare providers to forge new discoveries and arrive at world-class outcomes. University of Kentucky Libraries is vital to fulfilling the goals of enhancing and expanding the university’s research enterprise and we are looking for a creative, collaborative, and engaged library professional to provide innovative services as the STEM Instruction Librarian. Reporting to the Head of the Science & Engineering Library, the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Instruction Librarian will engage and collaborate with faculty, students, library staff, and other stakeholders across the University to support scholarship, teaching and learning, and research within STEM disciplines. Early career librarians are encouraged to apply.
The STEM Instruction Librarian will serve as the primary liaison providing research and curricular support to faculty and students in one or more assigned STEM subject areas.
- Develop, teach, and assess curriculum-integrated information literacy instruction sessions in assigned subject areas and related fields in collaboration with the Libraries’ instruction program.
- Collaborate with the Libraries’ Information Literacy Team on initiatives and projects to advance the Libraries’ teaching and learning program, including utilization of various instructional technologies.
- Take responsibility for collection development, management, and assessment for the print and electronic resources in assigned subject areas.
- Provide online and in-person research assistance and consultations for students, faculty, and community members in STEM disciplines.
- Recommend appropriate resources to students and faculty on scholarly communication topics in STEM including copyright, research data management, open educational resources, and open access.
- Participate in shared governance of the University of Kentucky by serving on library, departmental/college, and university committees as appropriate.
- Pursue scholarship, professional development, and service activities in order to meet requirements for promotion and tenure.
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program in library and information science
- Academic or professional background in one or more STEM disciplines with an understanding of the current research, information sources, and scholarly trends in STEM fields
- Knowledge of emerging issues and technologies in science librarianship
- Demonstrated teaching experience and knowledge of key issues, emerging pedagogy trends, best practices, and concepts used in information and digital literacy
- Strong public service orientation and excellent interpersonal and research assistance skills
- Commitment to expanding diversity in terms of race, class, gender, sexuality, ability, and other identities historically marginalized in higher education through lived experience and/or allyship
- Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track position through research, publication, and/or professional engagement
In addition to the required qualifications above, preference will be given to candidates who hold one or more of the following qualifications
- ALA-accredited master's degree in library and information science AND an undergraduate or graduate degree in a STEM field
- teaching experience in an academic library or research environment
- familiarity with current trends in scholarly communication and research data services
- record of scholarly contributions, engagement, and achievement in the profession
- previous work with multicultural and international student groups
- academic library experience in collection development, online tutorials and web guides, and/or learning management systems, such as Canvas or Blackboard
Position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being. Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Agricultural Information Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 60 and a support and professional staff of 108. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK Online Academic Profile at http://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/241184
and attach two documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. This information may be utilized to solicit recommendation letters for your references within the employment system.
If you have any questions, contact H/R employment, phone (859) 257-9555, press 2.
The applications will be reviewed beginning September 30th
, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Learn More »