Spatial Data Science Librarian
Job Location: California
Apply By: 08/29/2019
Date Created: 08-09-2019
Department: Data Science Center
Rank and Salary: Assistant Librarian – Librarian ($61,201 – $98,865)
Position Availability: Immediately
Application deadline for first consideration: August 29, 2019
The UCLA Library seeks a Spatial Data Science Librarian (SDSL) to develop and extend the Library’s role in providing services centered around facilitating geospatial research, enabling its use through research support and instruction, and building community by collaborating with colleagues within and beyond the Library. This role provides leadership for the Library in geospatial data collection, including collaborating with UCLA, UC, and statewide university stakeholders on collecting, storing and preserving spatial research, purchased and open data. Reporting to the Director of the Library Data Science Center, the SDSL will play a leading role in defining the vision of geospatial services needed to support research and education at UCLA.
Reporting to the Director of the Data Science Center, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Develop services that support and enable geospatial research at UCLA.
- Teach researchers and students mapping and geospatial analysis skills using GIS tools.
- Provide individual consultations involving the use, processing, and analysis of geospatial data to UCLA students, faculty, and staff, as well as off-campus users.
- Develop the Library’s geospatial collections; identify and pursue new collecting opportunities.
- Serve as the Library expert on geospatial technologies, including GIS software, geospatial repositories and databases, geospatial data discovery interfaces, geospatial data acquisition and methods.
- Engage with researchers to make digital and scholarly data openly discoverable, accessible, and reusable.
- Coordinate the Library’s GIS services with other campus GIS initiatives and cooperate with UC-wide GIS initiatives.
- Work closely with Library Development to identify and steward donors, collections, and endowed gift funds.
Description of Unit
The Data Science Center (DSC) supports researchers with acquiring, cleaning, using/reusing, publishing, and preserving data. Our team provides consulting and instruction on tools and leading practices supporting data and computationally intensive scholarship, including: R, Python, data management, and reproducible science. We develop, operate, and maintain research applications that help researchers and learners collaborate on, manage, and share their research objects. The Data Science Center manages the Library’s membership with the Carpentries and are a focal point for reproducible science education at UCLA. We manage and steward the Social Science Data Archive historic data collections and continue its archival mission.
Learn More »