Join us in building a transformative library at the heart of research and teaching. Carnegie Mellon University
(CMU) is home to world renowned faculty leading the way in their fields and preparing the next generation of innovators.
We invite applications from creative professionals who thrive in a team-oriented and project-driven work environment to serve as Librarian for Special Collections
. The appointee will have oversight of print collections held in the Hunt Library’s Fine and Rare Book
Room and in the Posner Memorial Collection
. There is also an eclectic array of art and artifacts, together with a growing volume of realia focused on the history of computing and robotics.
You will work closely with students and faculty from across CMU, and in collaboration with library faculty and staff, most notably within our University Archives and Digitization Lab, as well as with our disciplinary liaison librarians and our team of digital research and publishing specialists. There are also opportunities to work with the numerous cultural and historical organizations throughout Pittsburgh.
This is an amazing opportunity for someone with a boundless imagination and energy, who is excited to share original and rare materials with our community. This could mean creating experiences for students to interact with original editions of Shakespeare, Galileo, and Copernicus, pre-digital computer artifacts and some of the first artwork created by artificial intelligence software. You will also serve an important role in weaving together the story of science and information technology in a widely encompassing manner.
We are especially interested in someone who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching and/or service, and have a demonstrated record in working with international and underrepresented minority students.
Under the leadership of the Associate Dean for Innovation, Preservation, & Access you will:
- Manage, preserve, and care for the materials and physical environment of the Special Collections, namely within the Fine and Rare Book Room (Hunt Library) and the Posner Collection (Posner Center)
- Curate, facilitate, and promote exhibits and digital collections
- Participate in the development of public outreach and pedagogically-oriented initiatives
- Integrate the collections and related materials to promote the research and educational aims of CMU
- Build and (re)shape the collection in a methodical and strategic manner with a shifting emphasis around the history of science, technology, and design
- Explore the possibilities of and collaborate in using augmented reality, computer visioning, machine learning, and data science applications across the Library’s digitized collections
In addition to providing excellent stewardship and proactive outreach and engagement, you will be encouraged and supported in developing or continuing your own program of research and scholarship related to information science and librarianship or to aspects of your disciplinary domain. You will also participate in governance and projects through various committees and working groups.
As a Librarian, you will be a member of the library faculty. Initial appointment rank and salary are commensurate with experience.
To be considered for reappointment or promotion, you will be expected to demonstrate excellence in librarianship and in research or scholarship. For more information, please visit: https://www.cmu.edu/policies/faculty/appointments-librarian-and-archivist.html