Data Services Librarian
university of California, Berkeley Job Location: California Apply By: 07/03/2020 Date Created: 06-16-2020
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Digital Initiatives and Information Technology, this position will coordinate, implement, assess, provide outreach for, and enhance the Library’s data services program. The Library’s data services program partners with UC Berkeley faculty, researchers, and students to support the discovery, acquisition, organization, management, and curation of data. It provides a range of services such as advising researchers on the creation of data management plans, helping researchers find data, data publishing, and data-related consultations and workshops. The Data Services Librarian will work across the libraries to advance and deliver data services that support faculty and students engaged in data-intensive research projects. Internally, the Data Services Librarian will collaborate in leading and providing guidance for enhancing data skills among library staff. In collaboration with other librarians, the position will also provide guidance and partnership to students through data programs and other library initiatives in the Center for Connected Learning (CCL). This position will actively collaborate with library colleagues to promote and integrate data services and data literacy into library instruction across multiple disciplines.
- Advanced degree.
- At least two years of experience working in libraries.
- At least one year of experience with data tools and technologies in a higher education organization.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent international degree.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data management, data curation, and data preservation principles and practices.
- Experience or demonstrated potential supporting researchers with data services, including discovery, management, visualization, reuse, security, and storage.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, collaborate on, and assess effective programs, projects, and services.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational, problem solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, creativity, and ability to work effectively both independently without direct supervision and as a team member.
- Capacity to thrive in an ambiguous, future-oriented environment of a major research institution and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.