Samvera Community Manager
Samvera Community Manager
Job Location: Georgia
Apply By: Open until filled
Date Created: 06-23-2020
Samvera is a grass-roots, open source community creating best in class repository solutions for digital content stewarded by Libraries, Archives, and Museums. It is a vibrant and welcoming community of information and technology professionals who share challenges, build expertise, and create sustainable, best-in-class solutions, making the world’s digital collections accessible now and into the future.The community has more than 35 formal Partner institutions and, additionally, many adopters who collaborate by contributing time and effort to furthering its work, largely through a number of Working and Interest Groups; stewardship and administration is provided by a Steering Group elected from the Partners.
Samvera is based on the premise that no single system can provide the full range of repository-based features a given institution needs and that no single institution can resource the development of a full range of features on its own. At the heart of the Samvera Community are its Partners, currently comprising institutions, companies, and other groups that have formally committed to contributing to the Samvera Community. Samvera Partners participate in groups that coordinate effort across multiple institutions and development efforts. Working together, the Samvera Community creates sustainable repository software using a common infrastructure within which there is the flexibility to tailor features to local demands and workflows.
Supports the community's communications, including website and wiki content management, community mailing list management, social media management, etc. Maintains Samvera's repository of conference presentations, white papers, etc. related to the community. Assists with event planning; currently Samvera holds one conference each year which requires significant coordination and planning, and three smaller face-to-face events. In addition, the Community hosts an annual on-line conference.
Liaises with Samvera Interest and Working Groups and the Roadmap Council. Liaises with Samvera's technical teams to communicate their activities and to coordinate resource support from the wider Community; liaises with service providers. Tracks adoption of Samvera solutions via mailing lists, Slack channel, vendor information, etc. Oversees outreach and Samvera advocacy: represents Samvera at relevant conferences, meetings, and within grant projects. Works with Samvera training providers to help define and deliver training curricula for various stakeholders.
Works with Samvera service providers to encourage adopter participation in the Samvera Community. Meets with potential and current Samvera users to discuss features, migration, roadmaps. Monitors relevant communication channels to help direct questions to the right place. Updates Samvera Partners and the Samvera Steering Group on activities and roadmaps, including presenting at appropriate Samvera events.
- This position helps support and manage the activities of the Samvera Community partners and adopters.
- Serves as a coordinator, communicator, facilitator, and administrator working across the Samvera Community.
- As such, the role involves liaising with many of Samvera's operational groups to ensure consistency and coordinated development initiatives. Participates in Steering Group meetings in an ex-officio, non-voting role.
- Creates and helps maintain documentation, presentations, and training materials.
- Liaises with Samvera's fiscal sponsor regarding financial and legal matters.
- Coordinates fundraising and sponsorships.
- Maintains stewardship of Samvera's legal documents. Oversees member communication, including coordination of the annual report and other regular updates.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- A bachelor's degree and five years of experience in information technology, open source software, libraries, or program management, OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Cover Letter Required
- Will be self-directed and highly organized.
- Will possess well documented, demonstrated, and effective communication skills including oral, written, and presentation capabilities.
- Will possess the ability to work in a collegial, collaborative work environment and maintain positive professional working relationships.
- Will possess proven administrative skills.
- Will be comfortable working with distributed teams in on-line video-conferencing environments.
- Will be comfortable and thrive in an open community;
- Will have sufficient and demonstrated technical depth to gain a high-level understanding of the Samvera technology stack and its development processes.
- Will be adept fostering contributions and participation from a growing Partner and adopter base.
- Will have experience of open source software processes and management.
- Will be familiar with the Samvera Community and its outputs.
- Will have previous experience in libraries, archives or museums.
- 100% remote work; will utilize online tools and environments to conduct their work.
- 2-Year Termed Position
Interested candidates should review the applications requirements and apply online at
Review of applications will continue until position is successfully filled. Emory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that welcomes and encourages diversity and seeks applications and nominations from women and minorities.
Emory Libraries recognize diversity, equity, and inclusion as core values integral to achieving our mission to enrich the quality of life and advance intellectual discovery by connecting people of diverse backgrounds and experiences. We champion an inclusive work environment through competency training, reassurance of personal growth, restorative communication practices, and diverse recruitment and retention. We offer exhibits, collections, programming, and research assistance that speaks to the rich needs and identities of patrons from the Emory community and beyond. We encompass opportunities that strengthen these values. We invite you to bring your true self to the library and feel welcomed when you arrive.
Emory University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Disability/Veteran Employer.
Learn More »