Director of the NYU Dibner Library
New York University, Division of Libraries
Job Location: New York
Apply By: Open until filled
Date Created: 07-14-2020
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Research & Research Services, the Director of Dibner Library
is a leader in Engineering and related programs in NYU’s Division of Libraries, with a primary focus on the in-person and online programs of the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. This tenure-track appointment provides leadership and strategic direction in the development and enhancement of services, programs, collections, and archives that support the research, teaching, and learning in engineering, technology, and entrepreneurship for graduate and undergraduate students at Tandon and other programs on the Brooklyn campus. The Director
contributes to the leadership of Research & Research Services and coordinates with engineering, sciences, data services, health sciences, scholarly communications, and other partners throughout the NYU Libraries, including our libraries in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai.
guides the strategic development of the Dibner Library, a full-service operation that includes a Public Services unit, an IT operation, Liaison Librarians, and the Poly Archives. The Director
leads efforts to:
Staff development and support
- Sustain partnerships with Tandon leadership, academic departments and programs, researchers, student government, and service partners to drive collaboration, responsiveness, and growth of support to our communities.
- Set and manage Dibner Library’s goals, policies, assessment program, and annual budget.
- Collaborate with other Division of Libraries leaders, including the Associate Dean for Collections and Content Strategy and Director of User Experience, to initiate programs and services that benefit the teaching, learning, and research experiences of students and faculty on the Brooklyn campus.
- Work with colleagues in the Libraries and Tandon Development offices to identify and pursue potential donor opportunities.
- Lead efforts to reimagine, redesign, and renovate the physical spaces of the 2-floor Dibner Library, setting and implementing a vision for a 21st-century STEM library facility in the heart of the Brooklyn campus.
guides the development of the Dibner staff, providing overall leadership for 4-6 faculty, 4-5 non-faculty employees, 2-3 IT specialists, and 25-30 student staff. The Director
works with Library Leadership to envision, prioritize, and build a staff that meets the needs of a 21st-century STEM-focused library. This leader puts a premium on:
- Facilitating and supporting collaboration within Dibner Library.
- Developing and coaching professional and administrative staff to create a culture of learning.
- Working to create an environment of inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity that fosters a workplace culture that values diversity of thought and backgrounds.
- Pursuing their own professional development, contributing at the national level, recognizing trends and opportunities, and using this knowledge to enrich local programs and planning.
- Minimum one graduate degree (master’s level or higher) for consideration. A second graduate degree will be required to be eligible for tenure. One of the two graduate degrees must be an ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent.
- Background or strong working knowledge of engineering or related subject areas.
- 3-5 years of demonstrated record in leadership within a complex environment.
- 5-6 years of relevant academic library experience, including instruction, collection development, reference, and/or outreach.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Record of professional activities including research and engagement in professional organizations.
- Participation in library renovation efforts.
NYU Tandon School of Engineering is located in Brooklyn, NY. Eleven academic departments serve a population of approximately 5,500 students, evenly split between graduates and undergraduates.
About NYU Division of Libraries
The Division of Libraries values diversity among its faculty, is committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and strongly encourages applications from members of underrepresented communities. We are proud of our organizational culture and we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, inclusive, and equitable organization that supports a sense of belonging for the staff and communities we serve. For more see http://library.nyu.edu/about/general/values/, and our Diversity and Inclusion Values Statement, https://library.nyu.edu/about/general/values/diversity-inclusion/
Tenure-track faculty status, attractive benefits package including five weeks annual vacation. Rank based on qualifications. Salary commensurate with experience and background.
To ensure consideration, submit your CV and letter of application, including the name, address, and telephone number of three professional references to http://apply.interfolio.com/75187
NYU Division of Libraries encourages all candidates for this position to supply statements demonstrating their commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and belonging as part of their application.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Learn More »