Business Research & Teaching Librarian
University of Louisville Libraries
Job Location: Kentucky
Apply By: 10/25/2019
Date Created: 09-25-2019
University of Louisville (UofL) Libraries invites applications from creative, energetic, and knowledgeable candidates for the position of Business Research & Teaching Librarian. This tenure track position works with faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students in UofL’s College of Business. The Business Research & Teaching Librarian reports to the head of the William F. Ekstrom Library Research & Instruction Department, a collegial and service-oriented group of nine librarians, two professional staff, and three student assistants.
• Serve as liaison to UofL’s College of Business
• Support faculty and researchers across the lifecycle of research, teaching and learning
• Develop and sustain productive working relationships with UofL’s College of Business faculty and students by responding to and anticipating their distinct information needs
• Provide course-related and resource-specific instruction to undergraduate and graduate business students
• Create, enhance, and update online business guides and tutorials on an ongoing basis
• Deliver quality, in-depth research assistance in the field of business, both virtually and in-person
• Collaborate with collection librarians to develop, oversee, and assess Ekstrom Library’s collections in business, and other areas as assigned
• Participate in other library instruction, including general undergraduate and subject-specific instruction sessions, as needed
• Foster and create new methods of instruction, outreach, and assessment
• Maintain a strong record of research, publication, professional, and university service
• ALA-accredited Master’s degree
• Library experience
• Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of business databases and government statistics
• Knowledge of emerging business resources, technologies, and research services
• Understanding of business concepts and vocabulary
• Strong service orientation, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team within a culturally diverse user community
• Potential to meet promotion and tenure requirements
• Degree in business or business-related field, experience as a business librarian, or prior relevant experience in a corporate/business environment.
• Academic, research, or corporate library experience
• Teaching experience in a classroom setting
• Evidence of creativity and innovation in providing library research services
• Experience with learning management systems and/or online instruction
The anticipated initial rank is Instructor or Assistant Professor; entry rank and salary of the successful candidate depend upon experience and professional achievements. The University Libraries offer a comprehensive benefits package and annual vacation of 22 working days. Library faculty appointments are twelve-month, tenure-track positions. Promotion and tenure require demonstration of scholarship and successfully satisfying other criteria.
The University Libraries, a member of the Association of Research Libraries, values its collaborative efforts both within the university and among other organizations.
The University of Louisville (https://louisville.edu) is a Carnegie Research/High university and recipient of the Carnegie Community Engagement classification for Curricular Engagement & Outreach and Partnerships. The University has a national reputation for its high-quality undergraduate program; over twenty nationally recognized research, graduate, and professional programs; 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students; and a strong commitment to the community in which it resides. UofL is located in the state’s largest urban area.
UofL’s undergraduate business and full-time Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs rank in the top 100 in the country (U.S. News & World Report). The University’s Professional MBA, Entrepreneurship MBA, Executive MBA, and Master of Accountancy (MAC) degree programs are among the top 100 worldwide (Best-Masters.com). This growing and innovative business college also offers unique degrees and certifications in the equine, distilled spirits, and franchise management industries.
The city of Louisville (https://louisvilleky.gov/) offers hospitality, warmth, and smaller city advantages like shorter commutes and lower cost of living, alongside major city amenities like world-class performing arts, great sports, incredible dining, and a nationally-acclaimed parks system.
Applications received by October 25, 2019 are given full consideration in the initial screening. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. Submit AS ONE PDF a letter of interest detailing your familiarity, aptitude, and/or experience with the required and desired qualifications; CV/resume; and name, address, phone number, and e-mail address of three references via the online application at UofL’s Human Resources site https://louisville.edu/jobs/
(Job ID 38159)
If you have questions or would like assistance with the application process, please contact the Search Committee chair:
Interim Head, Research Assistance and Instruction Dept &
Head, Electronic Resources Management
260 Ekstrom Library
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
502.852.6076 or email@example.com
The University of Louisville is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, pregnancy, or veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact the Employment team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502.852.6258.
Learn More »