Instruction & Accessibility Librarian (Faculty)
Montana State University
Job Location: Montana
Apply By: Screening begins 10/30/2019 but will remain Open until filled.
Date Created: 10-15-2019
The MSU Library seeks a collaborative, empathetic, and creative individual to fill the position of Instruction & Accessibility Librarian. The person in this position will:
- Advance diversity and inclusion through the lens of accessibility.
- Serve a key role in fulfilling the library’s core value of building spaces and services that are accessible to all.
- Serve as an internal advocate by leading efforts in education and awareness-building around accessibility. Responsibilities include:
- Training and educating library staff to ensure basic competencies in the creation of accessible content.
- Support functional specialists in the library on accessibility issues surrounding instructional technology, web content, machine comprehension, and access to library spaces and collections.
- Work with stakeholders within and outside the library to ensure that library resources, policies, documentation, and services are accessible and compliant with guidelines established by the Department of Education Office of Civil Rights.
- Develop engaging information literacy instruction and serve as a role model for incorporating universal design for learning (UDL) in instruction.
This role serves a critical function in the Learning and Research Services department, the “access hub” of the MSU Library. As such, the successful candidate will be an effective teacher who takes a collaborative, instructional approach to all aspects of the work. We seek an individual who is empathetic in their approach, likes to teach and work directly with people (primarily students), embraces the core ethos of Universal Design for Learning, and a strong interest in and desire to work with learners from diverse backgrounds. All these attributes will assist in developing the library’s instructional offerings, supporting existing users, and more effectively reaching new and existing audiences. Reporting to the Head of Learning and Research Services (LRS), the individual in this role will work closely with library instructional faculty, LRS staff, students, and faculty campus-wide. Because this is a new position, it would be expected that the person in the role work with the department head and others to create a roadmap and outline what the specific work will look like over the next 1-5 years.
The Montana State University Library is committed to providing and promoting information resources to ensure student and faculty success. Our librarians are campus leaders and are active within state, regional, and national library communities.
Montana State University welcomes a broad array of experiences and perspectives and is committed to continually supporting, promoting, and building an inclusive and culturally rich campus environment. In support of our campus and library strategic plans, which values diversity in all its dimensions, we enthusiastically encourage members of traditionally underrepresented groups to apply. We seek individuals who work professionally and effectively with diverse individuals, possess effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, and have the ability to contribute positively to the academic success of the students and the mission of Montana State University. MSU recognizes the importance of work-life integration and strives to be responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Learn More »