Assistant Dean of Digital Strategy & Information Technology Services
University of Colorado Boulder Libraries Job Location: Colorado Apply By: 12/15/2019 Date Created: 11-08-2019
University of Colorado Boulder Libraries Job Announcement Assistant Dean of Digital Strategy & Information Technology Services
Job SummaryCU Boulder University Libraries is seeking an energetic, creative, and forward-looking individual to provide strategic leadership for our digital infrastructure and applications. Most importantly, the Assistant Dean ensures that the technology portfolio of the University Libraries is responsive to the needs of students, faculty, staff and other stakeholders. As a member of the Libraries senior leadership team, you will participate in shaping and communicating the Libraries’ overall strategic direction in support of our mission: The University of Colorado Boulder Libraries mission is to be a knowledge catalyst. We spark inquiry, discovery, collaboration, creation, and the dissemination of knowledge. We welcome everyone, wherever they are on their educational journey. Collaborating with the Office of Information Technology’s (OIT’s) Director of Business Analysis & Solution Architecture (BASA), and the dedicated OIT embedded library staff, you will ensure that the Libraries’ IT program is integrated with that of OIT, while maintaining support of the Libraries overall strategic plan. You will ensure technologies and services are fully integrated with areas such as research data and digital scholarship while working in concert with those providing these services. Collaboration will be key in ensuring that each unit within the Libraries is fully integrated into our overall operations. As the Assistant Dean, you will advocate for our strong emphasis on diversity, equity, access, and inclusive excellence, especially as it relates to information technology. You will also ensure smooth communication between Libraries’ IT and all other departments, subject specialists, and library units. The Assistant Dean must have a solid understanding of digital strategy, information technology practices, and system architecture models along with an understanding of the evolving nature of technology to recommend innovative solutions and resource management practices for adoption by the Libraries. As the primary digital/technology strategist, with supervision of five (5) staff and faculty and oversite of a hardware budget of $500K, you will provide direction and vision for library digital technologies, facilitating access, curation, dissemination, and preservation of digital scholarly content. You will seek opportunities for the development, enhancement, extension, and integration of library digital services across the University. Finally, as the Assistant Dean, you will represent the Libraries in university-wide discussions about IT strategy, hold an ex-officio leadership role in the Libraries IT Governance Group, and participate in system, consortia, regional, and national meetings to stay abreast of library digital service trends and to represent the interests of the University and the Libraries.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Provide strategic direction and goal setting to OIT and other partners in accomplishing Libraries IT priorities. This will ensure we deliver technologies that support essential library functions, patron-facing services, and enable innovative teaching, learning, and research in the Libraries.
- Develop and support the embedded service practices between Office of Information Technology and University Libraries.
- Seek opportunities for the development, enhancement, extension, and integration of library digital services across the University.
- Foster professional development of staff to meet the challenges of a rapidly changing environment; actively supports a workplace culture that values and promotes a partnership and service philosophy.
- Foster partnerships with other University of Colorado Boulder and external constituencies in support of University Libraries mission.
- Advocate for and cultivate an environment that supports diversity, respect, and inclusion.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners on the development, delivery, and assessment of shared IT services and resources to align with Libraries and OIT goals.
- Stay current on, and react appropriately to, best practices, state of the art, and emerging technologies that support the Libraries’ vision.
What We Can OfferBenefits The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Be Game-Changing. Be Pioneering. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Management/Technology or related field required.
- At least 5 years increasingly responsible, substantive positions developing, planning, and successfully implementing user-centered technology services.
- At least 1 year of experience with medium scale deployment of technology and use of open source software in those environments.
- Interest in the Libraries and their technologies.
What You Will Need
- Data driven approach to continuous assessment and improvement of programs and services
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
What We Would Like You to Have
- Master’s Degree in Information Management/Technology or Masters of Library and Information Science, or a related field strongly preferred.
- IT management experience in large academic library setting.
- Experience with the implementation and maintenance of open source applications.
- Experience with developing and enforcing policies for data privacy, data security, and identity management.
- Understanding of Libraries and their technologies.
Special Application InstructionsTo apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
- A diversity statement -- This should be a brief (1-2 pages) discussion regarding how your experience, research, and/or service have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion. This statement could include relevant information about your professional background and experiences, ideas for serving a diverse campus community, particularly in libraries, or plans for bringing new perspectives to research, education, and service. Be as specific as possible.
- View the University Libraries’ Commitment to Diversity and Inclusive Excellence here: https://www.colorado.edu/libraries/about/commitment-diversity-and-inclusive-excellence. You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
- Please apply by December 13, 2019 for consideration.