University of Louisville Libraries
Job Location: Kentucky
Apply By: 03/09/2020
Date Created: 02-07-2020
The University of Louisville (UofL) Kornhauser Health Sciences Library invites applications from creative and self-motivated candidates for the position of clinical librarian. This individual will help continue efforts to support the clinical librarianship program while focusing on pediatrics and outreach. The library provides information and research support to the students, staff, researchers, teaching faculty and practicing clinicians of the UofL Health Sciences Campus.
• Building collaborative relationships within clinical departments to support information literacy and evidence-based practice, with a special focus on pediatrics
• Engaging with users in their preferred environments, typically outside the library
• Providing evidence-based teaching sessions
• Collaborating with clinical faculty, residents or students on journal clubs, seminars, systematic literature review projects, and other clinical forums
• Providing timely information as requested using current technology and resources
• Keeping students, faculty, and staff in touch with emerging technologies, resources, and library news
• Participating in the further development of Kornhauser Health Sciences Library’s clinical library services program
• Providing traditional reference service at library information desk
• Engaging with the local community through outreach programming
• Engaging in research, scholarly activity, and service to the university, community and profession
• Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent in library or information science by the time of hire
• Knowledgeable about biomedical and evidence based practice literature, research, and tools
• Excellent presentation and relationship building skills
• Demonstrated ability to think and react quickly
• Demonstrated ability to learn and use new technologies
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats to diverse audiences
• Demonstrated evidence of initiative and flexibility with planning and problem-solving
• Demonstrated ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively as both a team member and independently
• Potential to meet promotion and tenure requirements
• Experience working with users in their environments, as opposed to the traditional library setting
• Experience working within the clinical or academic health sciences environment
• Understanding of evidence-based practice
• Experience in a health sciences library or demonstrated commitment to health sciences librarianship
• Experience using EndNote or similar citation management software
• Health sciences background
• Additional graduate degree or certification in a related discipline
This is a full-time, tenure-track position reporting to the Associate Director-Clinical Services of the Kornhauser Health Sciences Library. The anticipated initial rank is Instructor or Assistant Professor. The entry rank and salary of the successful candidate are dependent on experience and qualifications, starting at a minimum of $42000/year. The University Libraries offer a comprehensive benefits package, annual vacation of 22 working days and support for professional development. Promotion and tenure require demonstration of scholarship and successfully satisfying other criteria. The University Libraries, a member of the Association of Research Libraries, values its collaborative efforts both within the university and among other organizations.
Kornhauser Health Sciences Library is located at the downtown Health Sciences Center, three miles north of the main university campus, Belknap Campus. Comprised of the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, and Public Health, as well as UofL Hospital, the Health Sciences Center campus is home to over 50% of the university faculty and receives 90% of grant funding.
The University of Louisville (https://louisville.edu) is a Carnegie Research/High university and recipient of the Carnegie Community Engagement classification for Curricular Engagement & Outreach and Partnerships. The University has a national reputation for its high-quality undergraduate program; over twenty nationally recognized research, graduate, and professional programs; 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students; and a strong commitment to the community in which it resides. UofL is located in the state’s largest urban area. The city of Louisville (https://louisvilleky.gov/) offers hospitality, warmth, and smaller city advantages like shorter commutes and lower cost of living, alongside major city amenities like world-class performing arts, great sports, incredible dining, and a nationally-acclaimed parks system.
Applications received by March 9, 2020 are given full consideration in the initial screening. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. Submit AS ONE PDF a letter of interest detailing your familiarity, aptitude, and/or experience with the required and desired qualifications; CV/resume; and name, address, phone number, and e-mail address of three references via the online application at UofL’s Human Resources site https://louisville.edu/jobs/ (Job ID 38838)
Current students with an anticipated graduation in Spring 2020 are welcome to apply, though official transcripts for required degrees must be received prior to employment. Proper documentation of identity and employability are also required. A criminal background report will be completed on the chosen candidate.
If you have questions or would like assistance with the application process, please contact the Search Committee chair:
Associate Director-Clinical Services
Kornhauser Health Sciences Library
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
The University of Louisville is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, pregnancy, or veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact the Employment team at email@example.com or 502.852.6258.
Learn More »