Health Sciences Librarian
University of Kentucky Libraries
Medical Center Library
Health Sciences Librarian
University of Kentucky Libraries
Job Location: Kentucky
Apply By: 3/10/2020
Date Created: 02-12-2020
With historic levels in grant funding and expanded programs and services across the state, the University of Kentucky is taking bold steps to improve health and wellness throughout the Commonwealth and solve some of the toughest health issues facing communities across the United States. University of Kentucky Libraries Medical Center Library (MCL), which supports the education, research, and clinical programs of the six UK health sciences colleges, UK Healthcare, and the wider interdisciplinary biomedical community, is integral to helping the University realize those ambitious goals. We are looking for a collaborative, proactive, enthusiastic and service-oriented candidate to join our team as a Health Sciences Librarian.
Reporting to the Medical Center Library Director, this Librarian serves as part of a team of librarians, support staff, and library partners to meet the needs of the six health professional Colleges, which includes medicine, dentistry, health sciences, pharmacy, nursing, and public health. This position will provide innovative services to a range of health sciences subject areas including information, education, and research activities using a variety of methods and technologies. The candidate will work with colleagues to advise clients on information sources, data management, scholarly communication, and emerging library services.
- Provide instruction through workshops, course sessions, online modules, and research guides
- Apply knowledge of evidence-based healthcare to support and conduct literature searches, systematic reviews, and other advanced searches
- Collaborate with other librarians and staff in providing research assistance and consultations for all six health professional Colleges
- Serve as library contact/liaison to one or more health sciences colleges and/or research centers
- Assist users in effectively discovering, identifying, and retrieving information tools and resources; including helping users manage, organize, and disseminate research results
- Consult, collaborate, and provide services related to scholarly communication activities
- Collaborate with health sciences users to identify partners and promote research opportunities
The Health Sciences Librarian will participate in shared governance of the University of Kentucky by serving on library, departmental/college, and university committees as appropriate. The Librarian will pursue scholarship, professional development, and service activities in order to meet requirements for promotion and tenure as well as work collaboratively to promote diversity, equality, and inclusivity with the Libraries and campus.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science
- Demonstrated knowledge of or coursework pertaining to health sciences resources and information services
- Ability to establish strong rapport, build partnerships, and work collaboratively with library and teaching faculty, as well as students, staff, clinicians, and researchers in a team environment
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in academic health center, hospital, or health sciences discipline/library
- Experience conducting or collaborating on systematic reviews
- Demonstrated knowledge of or experience providing scholarly communications services, including but not limited to research data management, trends and issues in scholarly publishing, open access and open educational resources
This position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position. All career levels are encouraged to apply. Recently recognized as one of the best employers in higher education by The Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked among America’s Best Employers and Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes Magazine, the University of Kentucky strives to create an environment where all staff and faculty are embraced and supported. Employees are offered a wide array of excellent benefit options. Library tenure-track faculty are also eligible to receive a generous relocation allowance, start-up funding for research, and annual professional development/travel funds.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being. Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Agricultural Information Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 50 and a support and professional staff of 86. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK Online Academic Profile at http://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/269659
and attach two documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. We ask that one of the references be your current supervisor.
If you have any questions, contact H/R employment, phone (859) 257-9555, press 2.
The application deadline is March 10th
Learn More »