Director of Information Services and Spaces
University of Virginia
Job Location: Virginia
Date Created: 04-09-2020
The University of Virginia Library seeks a new Director of Information Services and Spaces to oversee services in a dynamic organization across multiple libraries and services points, including chat/text/email services. The Director will lead the Information Services and Spaces unit, which is focused on providing high-quality service experiences for more than 500,000 transactions and 2 million visits a year. The Director administers service points and operations in UVA Library locations, and collaborates on services with Harrison-Small, Health Sciences, Darden and Law libraries. The position reports to the Associate University Librarian for Research, Learning, and Spaces and is part of the RLS leadership team. The position guides the activities of some 20 librarians and staff, plus a large group of student employees. The Director will have the opportunity to immediately shape the service offerings both during and after a massive renovation to the historic Alderman Library, slated to begin in summer 2020.
• Provide leadership for circulation, reserves, reference and research assistance, and chat/text/email services.
• Hire, train, and evaluate librarians and staff.
• Develop service standards and expectations that facilitate staff’s abilities to exceed patron expectations.
• Bring a critical perspective to the evaluation of all services and programs
• Administer an annual student/wage budget of nearly $500,000.
• Serve on local, university, and consortial committees as appropriate.
• Contribute to professional organizations at local and national levels and participate in scholarship through presentations and/or publications.
• ALA-accredited graduate degree or accredited graduate degree in another appropriate discipline, 10 years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
• A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in public services in an academic research library
• Supervisory experience overseeing front line staff
• Commitment to and experience in evaluating and assessing programs, services, or patrons needs.
• Demonstrated understanding of the evolving nature of higher education and of the patrons in a research university library.
• Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, or a commitment to do so at UVA.
• Recent experience in providing reference or research assistance in an academic library
• Experience providing front line service in a service industry or organization
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does require walking some distance to oversee/coordinate activities at remote Library locations and to attend meetings and programs.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search "Find Jobs", and search for "R0015317". Complete an application online and see below for documents to attach.
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, (R0015317) complete the application and see below for documents to attach.
Please note that ALL documents MUST be uploaded in the CV/resume box or you can combine them into one PDF.
Complete an application online and attach:
• Cover letter
• Contact information for 3 references
***Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
The position will remain open until filled.
For questions about the application process please contact Rhiannon O’Coin at firstname.lastname@example.org
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
Learn More »