Cal Poly State University
Job Location: California
Date Created: 05-14-2020
The Robert E. Kennedy Library at California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) in beautiful San Luis Obispo, California, seeks an analytic, creative, and highly collaborative professional to join us in the new tenure-track faculty position of Systems Librarian. The successful candidate for this position will be innovative, collegial, and user-focused, combining strong technical expertise and collaboration skills to provide optimal stewardship of Kennedy Library’s library systems, applications, and platforms.
Core responsibilities include strategic assessment, enhancement, and implementation of library technologies; identifying required actions for a slate of vital library systems and platforms, mapping viable timelines and stewarding effective collaboration to ensure optimal operation of those systems and platforms; close collaboration with library faculty and staff directly engaged with students and disciplinary faculty who use library technologies; and providing leadership in collaboration with library, campus, and CSU partners to operationalize and implement new technologies.
The successful candidate will be curious, technically adept, and highly collaborative, with the ability to explore, propose, and steward the implementation of emerging and relevant technologies. The successful candidate will proactively integrate considerations of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the technological delivery of library services and resources. Equipped with outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills, the successful candidate in this faculty position will communicate effectively and productively with a diverse range of stakeholders and make scholarly contributions to the profession.
This tenure-track, faculty position is available at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program or comparable academic or public library experience with related advanced degree.
- Three or more years professional experience in an academic or public library setting with evidence of broad technology and systems knowledge.
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more major library systems areas.
- Demonstrated awareness of current industry trends in library technology solutions systems.
- Demonstrated awareness of usability, accessibility and equity issues in the technological delivery of services and resources.
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion.
- Experience in stewarding implementation of technical projects or initiatives, working collaboratively with administrators, colleagues and stakeholders.
- Proven ability to steward multiple concurrent projects in a rapidly shifting environment, demonstrating creative, analytic, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Evidence of successful engagement in research and potential for further high accomplishment and leadership in the scholarship/creative activity required to achieve promotion and tenure.
- Evidence of potential for providing valuable service to the library, university, profession, and/or community.
- Experience working in an academic library.
- Familiarity with current programming languages and frameworks.
- Technical experience with any of the following: Ex Libris Alma/Primo, WordPress, Drupal, EZ Proxy, Springshare, OCLC Illiad, Islandora, DigitalCommons.
- Demonstrated web development experience.
- Experience with universal design to support usability testing of library systems and services.
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of different user communities and information seeking and technology use in academic or public library settings.
- Understanding of network standards, security, and protocols.
- Experience with scripting or programming to automate tasks.
- Experience working directly with students and faculty in teaching and learning environments.
- Salary and rank are commensurate with qualifications and experience. For appointment at the rank of Associate Librarian, demonstrated leadership ability, proven record of scholarship, and a minimum of six years of professional experience in an academic or public library setting are required.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
For health and well-being, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSIVITY
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly’s commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
ABOUT KENNEDY LIBRARY
Kennedy Library is responsible for planning, implementing, and managing campus-wide information resources and related services. Integrating traditional library resources and services with digital tools, the Robert E. Kennedy Library continuously adapts its services, programs, and spaces to meet the evolving academic programs, research interests, and needs of the university community. Providing access to information resources, classrooms, computer labs, an expansive 24-hour space, and an array of group and individual study spaces, Kennedy Library is a magnet for students and faculty alike. Annual visitors exceed 1.5 million.
ABOUT CALIFORNIA POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked comprehensive public university located in San Luis Obispo, California. With more than 18,000 undergraduates and approximately 1000 graduate students, Cal Poly fosters teaching, scholarship, and service in a learn-by-doing environment where students and faculty are partners in discovery. As a polytechnic university, Cal Poly promotes the application of theory to practice. As a comprehensive institution, Cal Poly provides a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and technology, while encouraging cross-disciplinary and co-curricular experiences. As an academic community, Cal Poly values free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
For more information, see: https://afd.calpoly.edu/hr/job-opportunities/prospective
ABOUT SAN LUIS OBISPO, CALIFORNIA
Cal Poly’s location in San Luis Obispo makes it one of the best places to visit. It is a quintessential coastal California town with some 43,000 residents. Located halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles and just minutes from beaches, state parks, landmarks, and premium wine regions, it is also a popular vacation spot. Sunset Magazine has called it the most Californian place in all of California.
The city of San Luis Obispo offers a historic, restored downtown full of restaurants, theatres, art galleries and shops centered around San Luis Obispo Creek, Mission San Luis Obispo, and Mission Plaza. San Luis Obispo’s Thursday night Farmer’s Market on Higuera Street has become a model for cities around the state. It’s a mix of fresh produce and flowers, baked goods, restaurant fare, and free music all within strolling distance.
San Luis Obispo is just minutes from some of California’s best beaches and original beach cities: Avila Beach (10 miles), Pismo Beach (12 miles), Morro Bay (17 miles), Montaña de Oro State Park (18 miles), Cayucos (18 miles), the Pismo Dunes (28 miles), and world-famous Hearst Castle (45 miles).
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must attach (1) a cover letter, (2) resume/curriculum vitae, Please be prepared to provide three professional references with names and email addresses when completing the online faculty application. Review of applications will begin June 15, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Learn More »