Temporary HR Assistant
University of Chicago Job Location: Illinois Apply By: Open until filled Date Created: 09-23-2020
Temporary HR Assistant
Requisition Number: JR09113 Division / Dept. / Unit: Library Admin- Library Human Resources Reports to: Assistant University Librarian for Administrative Services Work Schedule: 37.5 hours per week: Schedule set upon successful hire
About the DepartmentAs a center of intense intellectual inquiry, the University of Chicago Library aspires to be the most dynamic research and learning environment in the world, supporting the University’s commitment to research and teaching and to using its intellectual resources to help solve the world’s problems. Even as we continue to focus on building and preserving our renowned collections, the Library is assuming new roles that are vital to research, innovation, and learning at the University. In the process, we are leveraging the deep expertise of Library staff, developing services that support new avenues of research, and expanding access to and preservation of scholarly resources in ways that advance the goals of the University community and the needs of the next generation of scholars. In pursuit of this mission, the University of Chicago Library’s Human Resources team is committed to providing ongoing support and outstanding services to all of our employees. Through a range human resources services and programs, we strive to source, develop, and sustain expertise, skill, commitment, and an innovative spirit in our staff, and to foster a work environment that supports creativity, inclusion, growth, and collaboration.
Job InformationJob Summary: The Human Resource Assistant will perform administrative tasks and services to support effective and efficient operations of the organizations human resource department. Responsibilities:
- Provide HR support to departments and division in core HR areas including divisional initiatives, talent management, recruitment, onboarding and engagement.
- Serve as primary point of contact for individuals entering Library HR.
- Schedule HR-related meetings, vendor visits, tours, training, and unit orientations.
- Support onboarding for new hires to include posting to job sites, scheduling interviews, conducting reference checks, initiating background checks, creating offer letters, and sending out new hire emails.
- Create and maintain HR Forms and post to appropriate sites to include Loop.
- Maintain employee files
- Schedule individual appointments with members of Library HR as appropriate.
- Order office supplies.
- Payroll/paycheck pick up bi-weekly and monthly, if necessary.
- Delivery of pertinent information to University stakeholders and run departmental errands.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional RequirementsPreferred Qualifications Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of one (1) year of relevant experience required preferably in a human resources, academic, or business environment.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential matters with discretion required.
- Ability to manage interpersonal relationships and interact with clarity, tact and courtesy with faculty, students, and others required.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement required.
- Strong sustained attention to detail and accuracy required.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team required.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines required.
- Experience with Workday or other HRIS preferred.
- Marketing or web authoring experience preferred.
- Exhibit business acumen and organizational astuteness
- Communicate effectively and with influence
- Display emotional intelligence
- Exhibit resilience and optimize resources
- Foster partnership and collaboration
- Ability to learn and use a range of position-related computer applications required.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to travel around University Campus for errands and departmental deliveries.
- Cover Letter
- Reference List