Medical and Health Sciences Librarian
University of Houston Job Location: Texas Apply By: Open until filled. Date Created: 10-13-2020
Medical and Health Sciences Librarian
University of Houston Libraries
The University of Houston Libraries seeks a collaborative and creative candidate for the position of Medical and Health Sciences Librarian at the Health Sciences Library, located at the main campus biomedical district. The Health Sciences Library serves the Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Optometry, and Pharmacy, as well as other health-related research initiatives throughout the University. In addition to the responsibilities for instruction, collection management, and research support, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with others to develop and assess new and specialized services to meet the needs of faculty, researchers and graduate students in alignment with the University Libraries Strategic Plan. The successful candidate is expected to work collaboratively with staff and librarians throughout the Libraries, including in Liaison Services, Digital Research Services, and the Art & Architecture and Music Libraries. This position reports to the Director of Library Services for the Health Sciences. There will be opportunities to develop expertise and contribute to the development of new services and initiatives.
The University of Houston is a dynamic, forward moving university with goals emphasizing both national research competitiveness and student success. Librarians are expected to proactively develop partnerships with faculty to advance these initiatives and contribute to departmental priorities in alignment with the UH Libraries 2017-2021 Strategic Plan.
The Medical and Health Sciences Librarian is a librarian position. Librarians hold academic rank pursuant to the University of Houston Libraries’ Bylaws Document. They are expected to develop a record of service, scholarship and professional involvement. The UH Libraries support the ongoing professional development of librarians and our goal is to recruit librarians committed to continuous learning.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively with stakeholders in a complex changing environment
- Professional experience in a health sciences library, academic library, or relevant healthcare setting; or demonstrated awareness of patron needs in an academic, health sciences library
- Demonstrated interest or experience in teaching; or a strong commitment to student success and student learning
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills
- Experience searching and teaching relevant medical databases such as PubMed and CINAHL
- Knowledge of or experience with evidence-based practice, research data management, and tools for demonstrating research impact
- Knowledge of relevant research and publishing processes
- Experience or interest in online instruction
Salary: $63,000 to $65,000
University of Houston Libraries respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity. Our organization serves one of the most diverse campuses in the nation and seeks to recruit and retain a similar community of library professionals. We welcome candidates whose experience in libraries, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to excellence in diversity and inclusion.
The University of Houston is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the university prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.