Metadata Management Librarian
Iowa State University
Job Location: Iowa
Apply By: 12/01/2020
Date Created: 11-10-2020
The Iowa State University Library seeks a collaborative and detail-oriented Metadata Management Librarian I. Metadata Services is responsible for implementing, promoting, and managing metadata strategies to support the discovery, access, sharing, management, and preservation of our library collections ecosystem, which includes physical, digitized, and born-digital resources. Metadata Services is also committed to creating and using equitable and inclusive metadata.
Reporting to the Head of Metadata Services, the Metadata Management Librarian joins a new team dedicated to metadata creation and quality control for the library’s digital collections. In addition to creating and reviewing metadata, this person collaborates with librarians and staff in Metadata Services, the Library, and the ISU community in metadata creation, editing, and quality control for the Library’s digital collections. The incumbent provides training in metadata creation best practices, manages metadata creation and quality control for digital collection projects, and trains and supervises student workers in template-based metadata creation.
A Librarian I will explore, show interest in, and have potential for institutional service and external professional activities.
Important skills for success in this position are: ability to balance big-picture thinking with attention to detail, organization, setting and achieving goals, effective communication, and ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
ISU Library is a member of the ACRL Diversity Alliance and is committed to creating and sustaining a safe, healthy, and inclusive environment where all individuals can succeed and thrive. All library staff report their DEI efforts on annual evaluations and have strong commitment to public service and the land-grant mission. ISU students, staff, and faculty strive to overcome historical and divisive biases in our society. Library staff must embrace an environment of inclusion that moves beyond simple tolerance to recognizing the richness in individual identities of people, and diverse perspectives.
To apply for this position, please click on the following Application Link and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application/Cover Letter
- Required Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree
- Experience with software and tools for batch creation and manipulation of metadata such as Excel, OpenRefine, oXygen, or XSLT.
- Experience with creating descriptive metadata using Dublin Core, MODS, or RDF.
- Experience with project management.
- Familiarity with library repository platforms.
- Ability and interest to engage in and contribute to ISU Library’s ongoing DEI efforts.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent, or an advanced degree supporting a specialized key program function.
Not all preferred qualifications must necessarily be met to be a successful candidate.
Learn More »