Latin American & Caribbean Collection Librarian
Assistant University Librarian or Associate University Librarian
Latin American & Caribbean Collection Librarian
University of Florida, George A Smathers Libraries
Job Location: Florida
Apply By: 03/05/2021
Date Created: 01-29-2021
The George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida seek a collaborative, curious and knowledgeable colleague to lead the Latin American & Caribbean Collection. The Latin American & Caribbean Collection (LACC) Librarian is a year-round (12-month) tenure-track library faculty position. The LACC is one of the finest such collections in the world. It contains approximately 500,000 book volumes, 1,100 current serial titles, some 50,000 microforms, and a growing body of digital materials. The LACC Librarian is responsible for the collection development of circulating materials in all formats, establishing collecting priorities for both physical and e-resources, in order to sustain and develop one of the preeminent collections of the University of Florida. The LACC Librarian engages with and provides services to a diverse, international community of patrons and develops strategies to increase collection visibility and usability. The Librarian liaises with faculty and students at the Center for Latin American Studies (http://www.latam.ufl.edu/) and other UF units to support existing and emerging research and teaching needs. The Librarian collaborates closely with the Latin American and Caribbean Special Collections Librarian, with Public Services personnel in the Department of Special & Area Studies Collections, and with others in the Libraries to manage LACC holdings and services. The LACC Librarian represents the Libraries in partnerships, consortia, and professional organizations relating to Latin American and Caribbean collections and projects, including a current initiative to digitize Cuban materials in partnership with the Biblioteca Nacional de Cuba José Martí and other repositories.
The LACC Librarian will serve on various committees and teams. To support all students and faculty, and foster excellence in a diverse, collaborative society, the Libraries actively seek candidates with culturally-rich lived experiences to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, and perspectives. The LACC Librarian will pursue professional development opportunities, including research, publication, and professional service activities in order to meet library-wide criteria for tenure and promotion.
The search will remain open until March 5, 2021, and applications will be reviewed as received. For a full description of the position and instructions on how to apply, please refer to the George A. Smathers Libraries faculty recruitment webpage at http://library.ufl.edu/pers/FacultyPositions.html
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. Applicants from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities and disabled persons, are especially encouraged to apply.
Address inquiries to Tina Marie Litchfield, Smathers Libraries Human Resources Office, at: email@example.com
- Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited (or foreign equivalent) program, or other advanced degree in a field relevant to position.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant experience for appointment as Assistant University Librarian. Minimum eight (8) years of relevant experience required for appointment as Associate University Librarian.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the history and culture of Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken Spanish and English.
- Demonstrated knowledge of collection development and management.
- Record of teaching, research, or service that can be applied to making libraries more diverse, inclusive, and equitable.
- Record of including individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and perspectives in research, teaching, service and other work.
- Initiative, flexibility and the ability to adapt to a complex, rapidly changing academic environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with faculty, students, administrators, and the general public.
- Strong potential for meeting the requirements of tenure and promotion (outlined at http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/pers/cdh).
Minimum salary $55,982 at the Assistant University Librarian rank
Minimum salary $64,700 at the Associate University Librarian rank
Actual salary will reflect selected professional’s experience and credentials
Learn More »