Assistant Librarian - Resource Sharing Librarian (Open Rank)
Texas Tech University
Job Location: Texas
Apply By: 03/02/2021
Date Created: 02-04-2021
The Resource Sharing Librarian is responsible for providing information resources to support the students, faculty, and staff of Texas Tech University, on campus or at a distance, and national/international libraries/institutions. They serve as a specialist for identifying, acquiring, delivering, and tracking information and materials required for scholarly research.
* Supervise staff and student employees ensuring that the Document Delivery office is adequately staffed
* Manage and set priorities and goals for frontline services staff, consisting of six employees and 15-20 student employees
* Provide information to the Libraries' liaison librarians to support collection development.
* Continuously assess the performance of the department for process improvements and write reports to support a variety of assessment activities.
* Develop and maintain the operating budget of the Document Delivery department
* Communicate and work effectively with librarians and staff in public services to improve service coordination
* Oversee the Libraries course reserves process and assess for improvements
* With oversight of a team and through quality control measures, ensures Texas Tech patron requests are filled accurately and quickly through a variety of fulfillment streams
* Serve library committees and presents department activities, i.e. Library Services Committee and coordinate library teams
* Work to continuously assess interlibrary services web pages for clarity and ease of use
* Reviews and refines implementation of current technology to fully leverage existing features; identifies gaps and opportunities for streamlining and expanding services
* Evaluates, recommends and implements new technology that streamlines requests handling.
* Monitor resource-sharing agreements and taking a leadership role in related professional organizations
* Applies quality control measures to ensure compliance with copyright and operational guidelines.
* Maintain and develop professional relationships with vendors who provide software, equipment or commercial document delivery services.
* Ensure that the Libraries are meeting and exceeding the standards set by consortia agreements
* Actively participate in professional networks and associations for resource sharing and document delivery. Represent Texas Tech Libraries at professional conferences to stay informed about changes and trends in the field.
The Libraries are a member of GWLA, TexShare, RAPID, and other resource-sharing organizations of which the Resource Sharing Librarian is the Libraries' representative.
The Resource Sharing Librarian is a member of the Texas Tech Libraries faculty whose responsibilities include actively pursuing scholarly publishing, professional development, instruction, and service to the Library, University, and community
QUALIFICATIONS: Master's degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution or international equivalent.
A demonstrated and ongoing commitment to serving diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable.
Strong public service orientation
Excellent verbal and written communication
Ability to work independently and as a team member and leader
Demonstrated potential to meet criteria for promotion and tenure
Experience working in Interlibrary Loan either as a staff member or librarian
Supervisory experience of full time staff
Knowledge of ILLiad and RAPID document delivery software
Knowledge of Consortia relationships
Proficiency in database and online catalog searching
Knowledge of scholarly publication trends, copyright compliance, and licensing implications
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The position is a 12-month appointment with a nationally
competitive salary. Librarians and archivists have academic status and are an integral
part of the academic teaching and research mission of the University. Comprehensive
benefits include choice of retirement programs, including TIAA-CREF; state higher
education holidays; developmental leave opportunities; moving allowance; and no state
or local income tax.
GENERAL INFORMATION: Texas Tech University (www.ttu.edu) is a tier one research university with an enrollment of over 38,000. Texas Tech recently surpassed the Hispanic student population threshold necessary for designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). Texas Tech is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, Greater Western Library Alliance, Texshare and is a founding member of Texas Digital Libraries. The University Library (http://library.ttu.edu/) has over 3.7 million volumes and is ranked 54th among ARL Libraries.
Lubbock has a metropolitan population of over 300,000 and is the regional center for education, agriculture, health care, banking, and business. It offers a wide range of academic programs in colleges and schools, including graduate, law, and medicine.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: To apply for this position, please visit the Texas Tech University Personnel site at: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/hr/workattexastech/. Select Faculty. Please fill out the electronic application and attach a cover letter indicating qualifications and interest in the position, current vita, and names and contact information of three professional references. Submission of applications is preferred by March 2, 2021.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university welcomes applications from minorities, women, protected veterans, persons with disabilities, and dual-career couples.
Learn More »