Music Library Assistant
MIT Libraries Job Location: Massachusetts Apply By: 5/7/2021 Date Created: 04-26-2021
Music Library Assistant (LA III - R&L) Under the direction of the Music and Media Program Head, the music library assistant presides over the operation, maintenance, and upgrading of audio/video equipment, and stays current with new audio technologies for music libraries. Provides reference service, and helps to train student assistants. Interprets library policies, procedures, standards, and practices, requiring some level of independent judgment in applying them to work and complex problem solving.
Media Operation, Maintenance, and Training (40%)
- Overseeing the operation and repair of audio and video equipment in the Lewis Music Library and performing routine repairs when appropriate.
- Providing basic support for specialized software in the Lewis Music Library (score notation, audio recording/edition, visual programming, OMR, etc.)
- Staying current with music library-related audio software and hardware, assessing library needs and suggesting new purchases.
- Training music library staff and MIT community users in the library’s audio software and hardware for music and podcasts.
- Working closely with music faculty and other interested MIT community members in acquiring new audio software and hardware.
- Publicizing and promoting the music library’s audio software, equipment, and facilities.
- Performing small in-house audio recording projects, such as reformatting analog to digital formats.
- Providing and operating A/V equipment for music library events.
- Supporting the Oral History program workflow
- Assisting in directing the work of student assistants.
Service Desk Coverage and Reference Support (40%)
- Assisting at the circulation desk and providing information service to users.
- Assisting in training student assistants.
- Available to work at the music library circulation desk.
- Providing reference services to faculty/staff and patron users.
Instruction, Accounting, Purchasing, Other Duties (20%)
- Assisting with music library instruction and tours.
- Assisting with donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Ordering supplies for the music library.
- Responsible for budget accounting and reports.
- Help train student assistants in circulation desk and library operations.
- Serving as back-up to fill out student assistant timesheets, as well as hiring and scheduling students.
- Assisting with other duties and projects as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Minimum of two years direct/related experience that provides in-depth understanding of library operations. (post-high school education can count toward experience). April 2021
- Strong knowledge of music, and audio technology
- Strong technical skills required to effectively use library equipment, tools and resources.
- In-depth experience with standard computer software and ability to learn and master new software, systems and technology as required such as MS Word, Excel, e-mail and calendar software; ability to generate reports and work with data; ability to assist staff or library users in the use of such technology or library equipment.
- Aptitude for accurate and detail-oriented work, responsiveness to deadlines.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ability to work and learn in a rapidly changing environment
Work may require moving objects weighing 20 to 50 lbs. and moving from site to site. We expect the candidate to be stronger in some qualifications listed above than others; we are committed to helping our future colleague expand their skills, as well as learning from their areas of strength
- Post-secondary degree
- Experience in an academic and/or research library.
- Experience working with Alma or another integrated library system.
- Experience in training and /or directing student assistants.
- Excellent customer service skills and a strong public service commitment.
- Superior organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills and ability to work with minimal supervision.
35 hours per week. Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (schedule to be determined)
Schedule may change over holiday and summer periods.
HOURLY RATE AND BENEFITS:
$20.48/hour minimum; actual based on qualifications and experience. MIT offers excellent benefits including a choice of health plans, a dental plan, tuition assistance and fully subsidized MBTA passes for local bus and subway service. The MIT Libraries affords a flexible and collegial working environment and provides opportunities for training and skill development.
Apply online at: https://hr.mit.edu/careers applications must include cover letter and resume. Priority will be given to applications received May 7th, 2021; position open until filled.
ABOUT THE MIT LIBRARIES:
The MIT Libraries support teaching, learning, and research across the Institute, with millions of resources, deep expertise, and five campus locations where our community consumes and creates knowledge. Our organization is on an exciting journey of transformation, pursuing a digital-first model for research libraries and prioritizing an open scholarship agenda. We aim to exercise bold leadership in defining a model for research libraries in the future, with innovative spaces like the newly renovated Hayden Library and a focus on supporting data-intensive and computational research and learning. We strive to do great things, powering the MIT community to solve complex problems in the service of humankind, and each member of our 146-person staff has a role to play in pursuing that vision. We’re constantly adapting to the rhythms of a changing world, and we welcome candidates who can help us do that in thoughtful and strategic ways that center our mission and values. MIT Libraries is an environment that welcomes any body, any mind — including all genders — and particularly encourages applications from underrepresented minorities, women, disabled applicants, and veterans. Professionals who enthusiastically embrace the empathy, courage, self-reflection, and respect of a multicultural, diverse, and inclusive workplace and who strive to incorporate those values in their work and interactions are encouraged to apply.