Crerar Access Assistant
University of Chicago Library Job Location: Illinois Apply By: Open until filled Date Created: 07-19-2021
About the Department
As a center of intense intellectual inquiry, the University of Chicago Library aspires to be the most dynamic research and learning environment in the world, supporting the University’s commitment to research and teaching and to using its intellectual resources to help solve the world’s problems. Even as we continue to focus on building and preserving our renowned collections, the Library is assuming new roles that are vital to research, innovation, and learning at the University. In the process, we are leveraging the deep expertise of Library staff, developing services that support new avenues of research, and expanding access to and preservation of scholarly resources in ways that advance the goals of the University community and the needs of the next generation of scholars. The Crerar Library primarily serves the biological and physical science divisions of the University of Chicago by providing access to physical and electronic resources. We also serve the community by providing access to our resources for unaffiliated researchers and other users meeting specific criteria.
Under the direction of the Crerar Access Supervisor, the Crerar Access Assistant is responsible for all manner of duties related to Access Services, Circulation, and locating items in the bookstacks. This position will handle a variety of questions and requests from patrons relating to their library account and access to the library, as well as general information about the University of Chicago Libraries and campus. Responsibilities require a high level of communication and organizational skills, as well as independent action and thoughtful judgment.
- Performs all routine and advanced Circulation functions, including training and overseeing student staff in the absence of a supervisor.
- Explains and upholds library policies and procedures.
- Provides access to the library for all eligible users, including unaffiliated visitors who meet specific criteria.
- Assists patrons in finding material from the bookstacks, including minor troubleshooting problems with mechanical shelving. Sorts and shelves books when necessary.
- Prepares books to send to other libraries, processes course reserves, and scans material as requested by supervisory or other library staff.
- Provides other general help as necessary, such as campus directions, copy assistance, and creating temporary or emergency signage.
- Provide strong customer service, including the ability to handle difficult situations with tact, discretion, and patience.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully.
- Identify priorities and perform timely work independently and as a part of a team.
- Maintain a reliable schedule, providing generous advance notice for anticipated absences, and as much notice as possible for unanticipated ones.
- Act consistently, without bias, and in accordance with library policies.
- Customer service experience in a fast-paced library, retail, or similar environment required.
- Previous library experience or an equivalent combination of position related education and experience preferred.
- Good verbal and written communication skills required.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills utilizing appropriate resources to resolve issues required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy required.
- Work independently and as part of a team required.
- Work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines required.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with diverse constituencies required.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- High school diploma or GED required.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Learn a range of position-related software applications required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office or similar software preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Move and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Use computers extensively for 4 hours or more.
- Sit or stand for 2 hours to 4 hours.
- Reach up and bend down while retrieving books.
- This is a part-time position (24 hours/week). The schedule might change during interim breaks: Thursdays: 7:30pm – 12:00am, Fridays: 2:30pm – 10:00pm, Saturdays: 1:30 – 10:00pm, Sundays: 7:30pm – 12:00am.
Pay Range: $16.90-$19.73
- Cover Letter
- References Contact Information (3)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.