Systems & Technical Processes Librarian
University of Alabama Job Location: Alabama Apply By: 08/23/2021 Date Created: 07-23-2021
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA LIBRARIES
Systems and Technical Processes Librarian
The University of Alabama seeks an innovative faculty member to coordinate and lead the administration of the library services platform and collaborate across departments that handle cataloging, metadata, and discovery. The position will be a member of Resource, Acquisition, and Discovery. The ideal candidate will possess experience with integrated library systems, EZProxy, and administration of authentication and security. S/he will be skilled in troubleshooting and problem solving. The person will be able to work with a diverse set of stakeholders on issues related to maintenance, authentication, and administration of technology systems. The candidate must have a willingness for continual learning, development, and application of additional expertise through work related experiences and professional development opportunities. The University Libraries are a beta development partner with EBSCO for the FOLIO Library Services Platform and plan to migrate in 2022. The person in this position will be actively engaged in the planning, development, testing, training, and migration to FOLIO while maintaining the current system, Voyager.
This position oversees or participates in:
- Planning for and implementing new software versions, corrections, and customizing system options.
- Performing bulk record loads on a regular basis, maintaining security, and configuring the online catalog interface.
- Managing authentication systems such as EZProxy, Shibboleth, and OpenAthens.
- Creating and maintaining custom reports from Voyager and FOLIO and other library-related relational databases using SQL, Access, or other reporting tools.
- Prioritizing and timely completion of ongoing batch processing such as e-book record loading and other special projects involving reports, global changes, etc.
- Managing user and system security hierarchies related to library services platforms.
- Participating in the UA partnership for developing and managing the FOLIO Library Services Platform.
- Collaborating with the electronic resources unit on statistics and data loads.
- Other position responsibilities include, but are not limited to: o Supervises staff and students as required. o Performs other duties/functions as requested. o Responsibilities of the position evolve as the library environment continues to change.
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Experience in an academic library.
- Demonstrated understanding of administering a library services platform.
- Knowledge of the FOLIO project.
- Understanding the management of EZProxy, Shibboleth, and/or other authentication methods.
- Understanding of authentication systems and methods REPEATED?.
- Experience bulk importing/exporting records.
- Knowledge of bibliographic record structures and core library operations such as circulation, cataloging, and acquisitions.
- Knowledge of MARC formats and non-MARC metadata standards.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux operating systems and the ability to navigate the command-line interface.
- Knowledge of relational databases and SQL.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products with emphasis on MS Access and Excel.
- Demonstrated problem solving, organizational, and analytical skills, with an aptitude for detail-oriented work.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, initiate, and implement effective programs, projects, and services.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to customer service excellence.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, along with skills associated with listening, negotiating, compromising, and adapting. Proven interpersonal skills evidenced by the ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, faculty, students, and staff.
- Ability to conceptualize, articulate and implement short and long range goals.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively in an AGILE project management environment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks according to an established timeframe.
- Demonstrated ability, interest, and willingness to assume additional and/or new responsibilities, along with the ability to set and model high performance standards.
- Ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment.
- Must possess the ability to deal with change, ambiguity, and complex problems in an academic setting.
- Commitment to conduct research and scholarship consistent with a tenure track faculty. appointment; commitment to engage in continuing professional development.
- Experience with training and documentation.
- Supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of linked data, including emerging library initiatives such as BIBFRAME.
The University of Alabama, The Capstone University, is the State of Alabama’s flagship public university and the senior comprehensive doctoral level institution in Alabama. UA enrolls over 38,000 students, is ranked in the top 50 public universities in the United States. The University is a leader among public universities nationwide for enrollment of National Merit Scholars, with more than 600 currently enrolled. Under the leadership of President Stuart Bell, UA launched a strategic planning process that includes an aggressive research agenda and expansion of graduate education. The University has achieved Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity status in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. The University of Alabama Libraries is essential in advancing the educational mission of the University. We provide innovative instruction, services, and resources to facilitate teaching, research, and learning. The University of Alabama Libraries is committed to be student-centered and research-focused in order to support discovery, learning, and creativity at The Capstone.
The University Libraries maintains memberships in the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, centerNet, LYRASIS, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the HathiTrust, Scholars Trust, the Rosemont Alliance, the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries, and the Alabama Digital Preservation Network. We are the oldest academic library serving as a U.S. Government Documents Regional Depository. In this role we serve the academic community and the public. The University Libraries is an EBSCO FOLIO beta partner. The University Libraries homepage may be accessed at http://www.libraries.ua.edu.
The University of Alabama is located in Tuscaloosa, a metropolitan area of 100,000, with a vibrant economy, a moderate climate, and a reputation across the South as an innovative, progressive community with an excellent quality of life. Tuscaloosa provides easy access to mountains, several large cities, and the beautiful Gulf Coast. Prior to employment the successful candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation.
12 month Tenure Track faculty appointment at the Assistant depending on qualifications. Salary range is $55,00.00-$65,000.0 and is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Strong benefits including professional development support and tuition fee waiver.
Applications are accepted online only at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu . Click Search Positions. University Libraries in Organization drop down box. Please include your application, Curriculum Vitae, and names, addresses, phone numbers, and e- mail addresses of three references, including one current supervisor.
Position open until filled. Applications deadline is August 23, 2021.
The University of Alabama is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is strongly committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. Applicants from a broad spectrum of people, including women, members of ethnic minorities and disabled persons, are especially encouraged to apply. For questions regarding the search, contact Dr. Millie Jackson, Senior Associate Dean, at email@example.com