Crerar Reserve Processing Assistant
University of Chicago Library Job Location: Illinois Apply By: 'Open until filled' Date Created: 07-30-2021
About the Department
As a center of intense intellectual inquiry, the University of Chicago Library aspires to be the most dynamic research and learning environment in the world, supporting the University’s commitment to research and teaching and to using its intellectual resources to help solve the world’s problems. Even as we continue to focus on building and preserving our renowned collections, the Library is assuming new roles that are vital to research, innovation, and learning at the University. In the process, we are leveraging the deep expertise of Library staff, developing services that support new avenues of research, and expanding access to and preservation of scholarly resources in ways that advance the goals of the University community and the needs of the next generation of scholars. The Crerar Library primarily serves the biological and physical science divisions of the University of Chicago by providing access to physical and electronic resources. We also serve the community by providing access to our resources for unaffiliated researchers and other users meeting specific criteria.
- Organizes and maintains course and permanent reserve collections in Crerar Library using course management software, including making purchase requests, processing physical and electronic reserves, and answering questions about reserve policies and procedures.
- Pulls and sorts items from the bookstacks for course reserve and other requests, scans material for course reserve and document delivery. Sorts and shelves material and checks the accuracy of other shelvers.
- Communicates with patrons about library reserves and library polices more generally.
- Monitors library entrance from the circulation desk. Enforces access and other library policies when necessary, including taking fine payments or making decisions about waiving or forgiving fines.
- Directs work of student staff, correcting minor issues and reporting larger ones to the department’s supervisor. Approves student time in the University payroll system.
- Trains new and existing staff on tasks related to Crerar reserves and access services.
- Maintains related statistics, including course reserves, searched and paged items, document delivery, and entry control.
- Performs other relevant tasks at the direction of the Access Services Supervisor.
- Provide strong customer service, including the ability to handle difficult situations with tact, discretion, and patience
- Communicate effectively and respectfully, with attention to detail
- Identify priorities and perform timely work independently and as a part of a team
- Maintain a reliable schedule, providing adequate advance notice for anticipated absences, and as much notice as possible for unanticipated ones
- Act consistency, equitably, and in accordance with library policies
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Customer service experience in a library, retail, or similar environment required. Library experience preferred.
- Good verbal and written communication skills required.
- Demonstrated experience with critical thinking and problem solving required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently required, including task-setting, prioritization, and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively required, including developing and maintaining relationships with varied and diverse communities.
Technical knowledge and skills:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and proficiency with office-related software required, including documents, spreadsheets, email, chat, and videoconferencing.
- Ability to learn a range of position-related software applications required.
- Prior experience with a library management system preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Work schedule: Sunday - Thursday 12:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Ability to push carts of books up to 50 lbs
- Ability to use computers extensively for 4 hours or more
- Ability to sit or stand for 2 to 4 hours
- Ability to reach up and bend down while retrieving or shelving books
Pay Range: $16.90-$19.73
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.