Entrance/Exit Control Attendant Overnight
University of Chicago Library Job Location: Illinois Apply By: Open until filled Date Created: 07-30-2021
About the Department
As a center of intense intellectual inquiry, the University of Chicago Library aspires to be the most dynamic research and learning environment in the world, supporting the University’s commitment to research and teaching and to using its intellectual resources to help solve the world’s problems. Even as we continue to focus on building and preserving our renowned collections, the Library is assuming new roles that are vital to research, innovation, and learning at the University. In the process, we are leveraging the deep expertise of Library staff, developing services that support new avenues of research, and expanding access to and preservation of scholarly resources in ways that advance the goals of the University community and the needs of the next generation of scholars.
- Visually check identification for valid entrance of all patrons and visitors, work with ID & Privileges and Circulation departments to establish access for non-affiliated visitors and issue visitor passes.
- Troubleshoot entry control system and report issues with database and entry gates to ID & Privileges office
- Consistently apply Library policies to ensure excellent customer service to Library visitors, using the University and Library websites to provide campus and Library resources to patrons seeking information and directions.
- Remain alert and vigilant in order to ensure the security of library materials, making sure all items are checked out properly if exit alarm sounds.
- Answer phone inquiries, monitor email and visitor calendar, remain knowledgeable and informed about Library events, and communicate information between shifts to colleagues and supervisors.
- Remain aware of emergency protocols and evacuation systems, report emergency situations to UCPD and supervisors; in the absence of other staff act as primary contact with UCPD and fire department.
- Promptly report building issues to Library and University Facilities Services via phone and email as needed.
- At opening and closing, lock Library entrances and work with Allied security staff and UCPD to secure building.
- Monitor South entrance of the Library when building is closed, responding to doorbell and allowing access to authorized after-hours users.
- Display Emotional Intelligence
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, multitask, and work with frequent interruptions
- Identify priorities in order to recognize and resolve or refer problems
- Communicate clearly and effectively while displaying tact, courtesy, and diplomacy
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Previous customer service experience required.
- One year of general office or clerical experience preferred.
- Previous experience in a college or university preferred.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to navigate web-based systems
- Ability to learn a range of position-related software applications
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements (if applicable): Ability to bend, crouch, or stoop
- The hours for this position are Saturday – Tuesday 9:30pm -6:30am
- Ability to sit for 4 hours or more
- Ability to use computers extensively for 4 hours or more
- Ability to work overnight required.
- $14.50- $15.26
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.