Arthur W. Diamond Law Library of Columbia University Job Location: New York Apply By: Open until filled Date Created: 08-19-2021
The Arthur W. Diamond Law Library of Columbia University is seeking applications for the position of Law Cataloger. Working under the supervision of the Head of Cataloging, the incumbent performs original and complex copy cataloging of the Law Library’s resources in all formats and languages, creates authority records, and participates in local catalog maintenance. This position also reviews, enhances and batch-loads MARC record files from vendors. The Law Cataloger collaborates with other law library departments, resolves issues related to the discovery of library materials, and actively participates in library-wide initiatives and projects.
The Arthur W. Diamond Law Library offers its researchers one of the finest collections of legal materials in the country in both digital and print formats. In addition to a near comprehensive United States Law collection, there are strong collections in International, Foreign, and Comparative Law and a special section devoted to Japanese Law. The Law Library has significant collections from at least thirty different countries and a useful core of materials from many other jurisdictions. The library has a staff of 42 and offers an array of services to the students and faculty of Columbia Law School. As one of the world's leading research universities, Columbia University in the City of New York provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a dynamic, multicultural, intellectual community.
The Columbia University Libraries comprises a diverse and engaged staff committed to furthering the University's teaching and research mission through innovation, collaboration, and a commitment to excellence. Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Eand strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position. We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and excellent benefits
Minimum Degree Required:
MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library program.
- Minimum two years of cataloging or technical services experience in an academic or research library setting.
- Excellent knowledge of the MARC21 format, RDA, LC subject headings and LC classification.
- Knowledge of OCLC and one of the major ILS systems.
- Excellent writing and communication skills and demonstrated ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of two foreign languages.
- Working knowledge of East Asian languages; familiarity with Japanese preferred.
- Experience in legal cataloging and classification.
- Knowledge of PCC-BIBCO standards and NACO procedures.
- Familiarity with data transformation tools (MarcEdit, OpenRefine, etc.)
- Experience managing batch processes.
- Familiarity with new data models, tools and technologies.
For immediate consideration, please apply online at:
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.