Head of Research & Access Applications
University of Kentucky Libraries
Job Location: Kentucky
Apply By: 9/29/2021
Date Created: 09-03-2021
University of Kentucky Libraries Head of Research and Access Applications
Recently embarking on a historic $2.1 billion comprehensive campaign, the University of Kentucky set an ambitious path to be a destination for students, scholars, and healthcare providers to forge new discoveries and arrive at world-class outcomes. University of Kentucky Libraries is vital to fulfilling the goals of enhancing and expanding the university’s research enterprise, and we are looking for a faculty librarian to head our Research and Access Applications unit. Reporting to the Director of Library Technology, the Head of Research and Access Applications will be responsible for the overall planning, coordination, and management of key applications that support user access to information, including UK Libraries Drupal website, Springshare, and other specialized digital libraries and services. The successful candidate will be a creative problem solver with a commitment to the design, development, and implementation of web solutions that optimize user experience and provide seamless discovery of and access to library resources.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Provide leadership, articulate a vision, and set priorities for UK Library application development and web services.
● Working collaboratively with key internal and external stakeholders, improve user experience and support research across platforms.
● Supervise three faculty positions—applications coordinator, digital architect, web developer—and one professional staff programmer position.
● Improve sustainability and capacity of infrastructure and applications to support library strategic goals and educational and research initiatives for faculty, students and Library personnel.
● Serve on relevant University and Library Faculty committees, participate in scholarly activity, and represent the library at and participate in regional and national meetings.
As a member of the UKL faculty, the Head of Research and Access Applications participates in planning, shared governance, and UK Libraries-wide faculty activities. This is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position and requires scholarship, ongoing professional development, and service that contributes to the effectiveness of UK Libraries, the University, and the profession.
● ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library and Information Science or advanced degree in a comparable field from an accredited institution.
● Project management experience and skills.
● Supervisory experience.
● Demonstrated leadership ability in fostering and promoting new initiatives.
● Basic understanding of coding, infrastructure, and application development.
● Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and creativity to manage projects both independently and as part of a team in a dynamic work environment.
● Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills to communicate with technical and non-technical individuals. Ability to work successfully in a collaborative, changing environment.
● Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track position through research, publication, presentation, and professional service.
● Experience leading departments, committees, or other groups in an academic library.
● Knowledge of practices, standards, and tools relating to security, usability, accessibility, browser compatibility, and information architecture.
● Record of scholarship, teaching, and/or active membership in professional associations.
● Experience creating and maintaining project documentation to support training and best practices encoding guidelines.
Position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track positions. All career levels are encouraged to apply. Recently recognized as one of the best employers in higher education by The Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked among America’s Best Employers and Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes Magazine, the University of Kentucky strives to create an environment where all staff and faculty are embraced and supported. Employees are offered a wide array of excellent benefit options. Library tenure-track faculty are also eligible to receive a generous relocation allowance, start-up funding for research, and annual professional development/travel funds.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promotion diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being. Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 50 and a support and professional staff of 86. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK Online Academic Profile at https://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/349679 and attach two documents:
• Curriculum vitae
• Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. We ask that one of the references be your current supervisor.
If you have any questions, contact H/R employment, phone (859) 257-9555, press 2.
Applications will be reviewed beginning September 29, 2021, and continue until the position is filled.
Learn More »