Metadata Operations Specialist
Columbia University Libraries Job Location: New York Apply By: Open until filled Date Created: 09-09-2021
Columbia University Libraries seeks a temporary Metadata Operations Specialist to support the Audio and Moving Image Preservation Mellon grant. Using discretion and independent judgement, the Metadata Operations Specialist will provide operational support in maintaining cataloging and metadata records management. This is a full-time temporary position ending on 3/31/22 (with possibility of extension).
- Maintain and create of cataloging and metadata records for digital resources in a variety of formats, e.g. audio recordings and moving images, using established library cataloging standards, assignment of subject headings using Library of Congress subject headings or FAST, etc.
- Performs quality review and remediation for metadata for digital resources in a variety of formats, e.g., audio recordings, and moving images; remediation of existing metadata records, normalization of creator names in metadata records against the Library of Congress Name Authority File.
- Assists with quality control, maintenance of procedures and contributes to reports for the Mellon Corporation. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent related experience required.
- A minimum of 0-2 years of related experience or relevant coursework.
- Relevant work experience in an academic environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude for working with emerging technologies.
- Working knowledge of metadata tools and systems.
- In depth knowledge of metadata format and content standards.
- Working knowledge of cataloging standards and procedures (RDA, MODS, MARC 21, LCSH, FAST).
- Demonstrated aptitude for complex, analytical and detailed work.
- Course work in an accredited library school program.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work across divisions.
- Experience in archival processing.
About Columbia University Libraries
We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, identities, and abilities to apply for this unique opportunity to become a part of our evolving Libraries and University community. Columbia University Libraries is a globally-recognized academic research library system, serving one of the world’s most important centers of research and learning in the most exciting and dynamic city in the world. Talented Libraries staff build, sustain, and make discoverable collections that transcend traditional boundaries of format and domain, keeping pace with a dynamic and rapidly evolving information environment and creating opportunities for users to encounter 4,000 years of human thought.
Our decisions are informed by new curricula developed to meet the needs of a more diverse student body, new and emerging areas of research being conducted by a broad spectrum of researchers, including graduate students and newly-hired faculty, as well as by perspectives from the diminished or entirely lost voices of historically oppressed, marginalized, and underserved populations and communities. As an organization, the Libraries provides a supportive, connected environment where every employee’s perspective is valued and every employee is encouraged to grow. All staff members have an impact on Columbia’s mission to advance knowledge at the highest levels and make the results of research accessible to the world.
Columbia University has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the curriculum and throughout University life. Columbia welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will foster their contribution to the University’s educational mission. We invite applicants who have demonstrated creative approaches to empowering and mentoring staff, leading projects, solving problems, and developing user-centric programs, services, or collections. We offer salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience.
For immediate consideration, please apply online at:
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.