Resident Archivist for Collections Care
Center for Research Libraries Job Location: Illinois Apply By: 11/05/2021 Date Created: 10-11-2021
Resident Archivist for Collections Care
The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) is an international consortium of university, college, and independent research libraries collectively building, stewarding, and sharing a wealth of resource materials from all world regions to support inspired research and teaching. CRL seeks a Resident Archivist for Collections Care to serve as a professional lead for the responsible stewardship of CRL’s print and analog collections. Working collaboratively with the Head of Access Initiatives and Collections Care and leading a team 1 FTE and part-time staff, the professional in this role will set and implement policies related to the care, access, and use – including selective digitization – of CRL’s analog holdings. The CRL Resident Archivist for Collections Care will bring an archival perspective to the responsible use and long-term stewardship of CRL’s collections, and advocate for CRL’s collection in collaborative partnerships.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to the development of the departmental strategy and budget.
- Create and implement an archival processing strategy and policy.
- Responsible for arrangement, description, and weeding projects for the CRL collection.
- Write and maintain documentation for departmental procedures as needed.
- Assess collection needs and develop and implement a collection care strategy, including:
- Replacing lost or missing materials.
- Monitoring preservation needs.
- Identifying items for digitization.
- Coordinate all functions relating to library stack maintenance (including arrangement of library materials and housekeeping of shelving areas).
- Monitor the building environment for optimal temperature and humidity.
- Promote and support collection access to membership.
- Developing presentations, workshops, exhibits and tours to educate the CRL community.
- Partner with Collections coordinators to negotiate new CRL deposits with donors and vendors, as necessary.
- Work with CRL partners as needed on projects related to the CRL shared collection.
- Work collaboratively with CRL Staff to further CRL’s Mission.
- Actively pursue professional development and remain current with related industry practices.
- Responsible for supervision and training of 1 FTE and part-time Collections Care staff. This includes evaluation of staff, staff development and oversight of all work in the unit.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year College or University required.
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science with a concentration in Archival Studies and Archival Management is encouraged for this role.
- Experience in a non-profit, academic setting is highly desirable, with direct experience working in an archival setting.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time, on-site position (M–F, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.) with a minimum starting salary of $55,000/year plus benefits. CRL offers competitive benefits including health, dental, and disability insurance, sick and vacation time.
Expertise in each requirement listed above is not expected — instead, we encourage applications from those who demonstrate a mix of expertise in some areas, and a commitment to learning and experimentation in the others. Skills and relevant experience outlined in your application may be paid or unpaid, and can include internships, volunteer work, and practicums. We understand that experience, education and learning, and creativity take many forms, and expect that qualified applicants may bring additional skills to this position that we’ve not considered or listed here. If this role interests you, we encourage you to apply! To be considered for this position please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by November 5, 2021. Please include ‘Resident Archivist for Collections Care’ in the subject line. Questions about the role should be sent to Marie Waltz, CRL’s Head of Access Initiatives and Collections Care at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, AND EQUITY
The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. CRL is committed to actively promoting the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion as key components for serving our members and advancing our global mission. As such, CRL enthusiastically embraces empathy, courage, self-reflection and respect of a multi-cultural, diverse and inclusive workplace, and who strive to incorporate those values in their work and interact. CRL complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding recruitment, hiring and employment and is dedicated to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at CRL are based on organization needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. CRL will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.